Jason's 30g long planted tank build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jaslin

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey everyone,

I'm relatively new to this forum and haven't done much posting just mostly following along and trying to learn as much as possible! I currently have a 10 gallon with fake plants that has developed some small cracking(but no leaks yet).

Current 10g stock and equipment:

Fluval C2 power filter
Fluval heater
Stock incandescent hood

5 glowlight tetras
4 neon tetras
3 kuhli loaches
2 amano shrimp

%50 weekly water changes

I just picked up a new to me 30
Gallon tank of a local buy and sell site with stand for $60

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1407826341.617899.jpg

It needed a bit of cleaning but otherwise in good shape! I want to do an entirely planted medium light set up with no co2 on this tank and transfer my stock over from the 10 gallon once it's established. I have just ordered :

36" dual fluval T5 HO light fixture total 78 watts
A second fluval C2 filter
A 150w heater
And 40lbs of fine black eco complete substrate, which should equal a little less then 2" average depth.

I'm looking for any feedback on my planned set up! As well as stocking ideas to add to my current stock. I'm also unsure of what to go with as a background at this point. It's going to be a long progress but I see you guys are great at giving advice so thanks in advance!

Jason

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Hey Jason! Looks like a fun upgrade! How s your knowledge regarding the cycling process & water testing?

I wouldn't say that I'm an expert but I have done a fair amount of reading. I didn't have a good understanding of it the first time and ended up doing a fish in cycle and lost a couple of fish so I think I've learned my lesson!

My plan is to cycle the tank with the new C2 seeded with filter media from the old tank, cycle it with that until I see a nitrate spike and 0 nitrite or ammonia. Then I will transfer the inhabitants and the other C2 and use both HOBs simultaneously on the new tank.

Will that work?

These are my notes from when I started my tank- kinda in shorthand but may help you. Fishless
Ammonia 5ppm
Test EOD- if below 1
Heater 85to 87
Bubble wand/lower water level
Ph down
Squash sponge /fiber in water
Lights off
10 days of hi nitrate ( over 10 by much do WC)

Thanks!! That's very helpful. So were going for surface agitation basically to speed the cycle? I should squeeze so filter media from my old tank right in the water of the new one?

What does EOD stand for?

Yes & yes.
Stands for every other day.

The ammonia 5 ppm is in reference to adding ammonia if that s what you re using to start the cycle. Some people use a small amount of fish flakes instead.

For my 50 gal tank, that was about 12 cc s

Okay yeah that makes sense. I'll use fish flakes to start the cycle I think

I would just buy some ammonia. It is only a few bucks on Amazon, and the fish food can take longer to break down from what I know.

Yeah I'll give that a shot. How much per gallon?

Start with 8 cc s & then test the ammonia a few hrs later

About ph.....usually it s best to just leave it alone.

So for a background , a lot of people just go with black. I like off white, too. Usually something with a pic detracts from the tank, esp a planted one.
Google Aquascaping - planted. It s fun, especially the big time competitions.ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1407898161.122984.jpg
This is one of my favorites.

Yeah I have black on my current 10 gallon. Love the white though that's an interesting idea! My substrate will be black though do you think white background could still look good?

Yeah I do. To me it really shows the plants.

Back
Top Bottom