java fern

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

steeledarren

Aquarium Advice Activist
hi there i am new to plants and have just added some java fern attached to bog wood, it has now developed some brown holes, quite alot actually, could something be eating it? my parameters are good, could it be the clown loaches?

hi there i am new to plants and have just added some java fern attached to bog wood, it has now developed some brown holes, quite alot actually, could something be eating it? my parameters are good, could it be the clown loaches?

I'm new to them too, but from what I understand, a lot of plants will start dieing off and then start regrowing once they get used to your tank.

Also, when I got my fern from Petsmart, it took me a while too realize, but it was actually like 4 bunches of 6-7 java ferns tied together with black thread. I've since removed the thread and kept the ferns with the biggest greenest healthiest looking rhizomes. Still waiting for it to attach itself though.

Another thing about java fern is that sometimes parts of the leaves will get brown and little baby plants will pop up. I haven't seen it on mine yet though.

Plants usually don't have to adjust very much from one tank to the next. The adjustment comes when you take plants grown out of water (grown emersed) and plant them underwater (immersed).

Holes in the leaves generally come from a nutrient deficiency. I'm not very good with diagnosing the problem based on symptoms with plants, so maybe someone else can chime in. I'll ask the basic question. What kind of lighting do you have? Wattage and bulb type please.

When my java fern started putting out babies, the tips of the leaves started turning a dark, muddy green, then roots and little leaves started growing. No holes.

Back
Top Bottom