Java Fern

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bettababe1011

Aquarium Advice Addict
My java fern that I've had for a few weeks, maybe a month, has roots shooting out all over the place, and little green leafy minis shooting out of the top of it's leaves. Are these baby java ferns? They look like they're kind of attached to the plant but could fall off anytime. I will attach pictures when the app is fixed.

And if they are little java ferns, will they come off when they're ready or do they have to be manually removed? And will my fish eat them at all? I haven't noticed anything yet. My stocking is:

6 zebra danios
6 male guppies
3 peppered cories

Soon I will be getting:
1 bn pleco
3 panda cories

This is a twenty nine gallon.

Ya...those are baby javas! I have the same thing :) I guess I kinda have the same questions you do :)

Yay!!! I can bring some to my dads apartment for the seventy-five gallon, put one in my ten gallon, etc!!! Would java fern fit in a five gallon, or will it grow too large?

Bettababe1011 said:
Yay!!! I can bring some to my dads apartment for the seventy-five gallon, put one in my ten gallon, etc!!! Would java fern fit in a five gallon, or will it grow too large?

I would think it would be fine...

You can remove them manually and plant in a new spot. Not sure of any fish eating them, maybe big fish destroying them, but not eating.

j2112j said:
You can remove them manually and plant in a new spot. Not sure of any fish eating them, maybe big fish destroying them, but not eating.

Okay. How big do they have to be? Right now they're almost a fourth of an inch for the longest two, and just a tiny bud for the smallest.

I just read...javas actually produce a chemical that make it unappealing for fish to eat...

Joyler said:
I just read...javas actually produce a chemical that make it unappealing for fish to eat...

Oh, I just remember that I had read that too. Lol, so that's not a problem.

Give the plantlets time to grow some leaves and roots. You can then remove them and anchor them where you would like them to grow.

Okay. How big do they have to be? Right now they're almost a fourth of an inch for the longest two, and just a tiny bud for the smallest.
I suppose wait until you can handle them, to attach them to drift wood, or a rock etc... or, if you find they make your plant look ugly...
You can just run your fingers down the leafs over a small plastic tub to remove them. If you want to keep some to add to your main tank, try using a 13w compact flourescent desk lamp over the tub until they grow bigger.

You can remove them manually and plant in a new spot.

It is best to wait until the daughters (that is what you call the baby plants growing on the leaves) unattach themselves from the mother plant.

Thank you everybody! This is very helpful. My five gallon that I was talking about earlier has 15 watts of light on it. Is this good for them? I know it's lowlight, I just didn't know if it had different requirements for the daughter plants to grow faster, etc.

Back
Top Bottom