java fern!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It will help counteract it? I'm not sure what your question is. Plants don't really have a bio load per se. In fact, they metabolize the ammonium and nitrite that would otherwise cause a bioload.

yep just like trees turn CO2 into O2 and use waste as fertilzer, the plants in the tank will also take CO2 and make O2 and will use nitrates to help it grow.

Homer8 said:
yep just like trees turn CO2 into O2 and use waste as fertilzer, the plants in the tank will also take CO2 and make O2 and will use nitrates to help it grow.

Plants will also consumer O2. Additional O2 in a tank is probably mostly a wash.

abrahamavelar said:
Oh ok so which plants suck in nitrates faster I heard hortwort or watever its called but any cool looking ones besides that one

Any plant that falls in the stem family will be a nitrate sponge. Im a fan of wisteria for this purpose, so much so that I don't want to put it in my high tech tank because it will out compete other plants for nutrients.

In heavily planted tanks, you'll actually be adding nitrates because the nitrate production if your fish wont keep up with the nitrate demand of your plants.

Back
Top Bottom