Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Planted Tanks
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-02-2012, 03:06 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Flourish is macronutrients. Flourish excel is a carbon dioxide supplement. The two can be used together. Excel is dosed daily and flourish is dosed weekly.

Old 01-02-2012, 05:17 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice FINatic

so how do I know if I need either one pod them...right now all I have is one java fern in a 29g...does it need any ferts

Old 01-02-2012, 06:17 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Java fern should be fine without any fertilizer at all. The natural fertilizer (aka fish poop) should be enough. You definitely do not need excel. It is a slow growing plant and as long as it stays green, you're good.
Old 01-03-2012, 02:35 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice FINatic

so my java fern seems to be growing and the babys seem to be growing but the pieces that seem to be getting longer on the tips where im guessing the new growth is seems to be transparent is this something im doing wrong or is this normal
Old 01-16-2012, 11:21 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice FINatic

ok so I went plant shopping and got some java moss, a banana plant, a anubius nana, java fern. and a stem plant Idk what it is

...now the thing is all I have is regular flourish right now. with a 31w 6500k bulb and 31w colormax bulb, and regular gravel what do I need to fert with and how often. with as little algae as possible
Old 01-17-2012, 11:22 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via Yahoo to Atxpunx
The plant looks like wisteria grown emersed. The flourish comprehensive should be enough. The wisteria will grow quick and the anubias and java fern slow. I have no experience with wisteria hub just leave the fern and nana alone and they'll grow, moving them too much will impede there growth. Tie them to a rock or wood and move the rock or wood around.
Old 01-17-2012, 06:15 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

So I've had this java fern for a while, just chilling hooked up to my driftwood. But as of lately, it's been starting to get a brown powder (that's the best word I can use to describe it) on it. The weird thing is, it's only on the front of the leaves, never the backsides and it's been spawning new leaflets like crazy. I've been attempting to cycle while it's in there and I just have no idea what's going on with it. Whether or not I should do something for it. My other fern is having the same problem, but only in small amounts and is hardly noticeable. Anybody have any ideas?

Edit: Nevermind, turns out the brown powder wiped right off and was just loose matter from the driftwood. No worries.

Tags
java, java fern

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com