Java fern

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

smomus

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I bought some Java fern last week. The rhizome has 2 taller leaves (almost a foot long each). Since it has been in my tank a 3rd leaf has come off the rhizome as well. Also, some growths have started to sprout off the end of one of the tall leaves. From what I have read, this is all good!
I didn't plant it in my substrate, because the lfs plant guy I bought it from said not to. Said to tie it to something so it would stay down was all. I didn't tie it, I simply stuck it in the eye socket of a skull that's in my tank because I wasn't sure what I wanted to do with it yet. Now I'm thinking I want to separate it into 2 diff tanks.

So here are my questions:
1. Is it ok to cut the rhizome between each leaf? If so, how much rhizome needs to be remaining?

2. How soon is too soon to pull the leaves growing off the top of the mother leaf? Or should I wait for them to fall off? Here are some pics of the mother leaf and the new growth.

ForumRunner_20120529_021018.jpg

ForumRunner_20120529_021027.jpg

3. I'm wanting to put the 2 taller leaves in my 10g divided betta/frog tank. I couldn't find anywhere if java fern would hurt my aquatic dwarf frogs, or if the frogs would hurt the plant. Can anyone advise me against putting the fern in with them?

Thank you!

1. I would think a rhizome at least 1" long would be fine.
2. Should be ok to remove it.
3. I have no experience with frogs but java fern shouldn't hurt them. I've never heard of frogs eating java fern either.

Thanks Peyton!
I split the fern. I pulled the daughter growths off and wedged them in some drift wood. I cut the rhizome between the two leaves and threw one in each side of my betta tank.
Cross your fingers that it works lol

Back
Top Bottom