java fern

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Meredith

Aquarium Advice Addict
I can just let this stuff float around without being attached to anything right?
I am doing some cleaning out in the 55 and there are tons of babies with fuzzy roots, but they are too small for me do deal with right now. SO I am throwing everything that didn't attach when I attempted it the first time, into my betta tank. Will they be ok in there?

Should be. I usually just bury the fluffy roots in the gravel and encourage the rhizome to grow along the surface of the gravel.

yep, they can float. I like to use staples or string to anchor mine down. or a rock to wedge teh roots against soemthing.

One note of caution. If you're using a canister filter on the tank you're letting them float in you might want to make sure that none of them get sucked into the intake. I've never experienced this myself but I've heard horror stories about Java ferns getting wedged inside intake tubes when they were small and the growing up and clogging the filter. Those things need very little light to get big :p

Back
Top Bottom