java fern and driftwood!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I would think it could take a couple of weeks. I've read the best thing to do is tie it to the DW using cotton thread. I've read by the time the thread has broken down, the roots have attached.

ohhhh ok cuz i attached some to my dw 2 weeks ago and im not sure when should i cut the cotton thread

I'd say don't bother cutting the thread and let it naturally break down .. but if after a month the string's still there, then cut it.

Min'es been tied on for almost 2 months now with cotton thread. It just started to push out new leaves so I take it that the roots have settled. But I'm in no rush to take the chance. Will leave it for another few weeks.

Since we are talking about Java Fern....

I inserted the rhizomes of several Lace Java Fern in the cracks of my driftwood. Once in a while I'll see a small rhizome with a leaf floating on the surface. The rhizome and leaf are green and healthy looking.

I was wondering do the rhizomes divide itself during growth?

Or maybe I didn't place them securely in the cracks and it came loose?

I have a normal java fern that had a random stretch of rhizome with six leaves popping out that strayed away without any resistance when I pulled on it. I think it does do this, also leaves grow from just my roots all the time

New plants will form on the leaves, then after a while, you'll have a new plant floating around in the tank. And yeah, cotton thread, fishing line, super/hot glue... they all work well. Zip ties do as well, but they can be unsightly if you don't hide them just right.

Just finished a pwc and found another one floating loosely in the water.

I get about one every two weeks. I though they are slow growers?....

Hmmm. How much light do u have? Co2? In the right conditions it'll take off pretty quick.

Mine has been on for almost a month and still hasn't grown at all, except for sending an occasional leaf off with a rhizome.

Atxpunx said:
Hmmm. How much light do u have? Co2? In the right conditions it'll take off pretty quick.

78 watts T5HO. Since they are on my driftwood its about 10-12 inches below the light fixture.

Using 6500k GE Starcoat and Giesseman Aquaflora bulbs.

Dozing API CO2 Booster 3x a week.

Back
Top Bottom