java fern, anubias, banana plant - first live plants

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

StickyOto

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I just added a java fern, an anubias plant, and a banana plant to my 29gal freshwater aquarium. I bought Flourish Excel plant food. How much should I add and how often? Do the plants need any sort of special care?

Follow the dosing directions on the bottle. Flouish Excel is a liquid carbon, not a plant food. You may need to get some fertilizers, Seachem makes a good line but there are many others. I don't use liquid ferts but plenty of others on here can give you some good options on ones they use.

I don't have experience wih the banana but the other two probably don't really need frets. The excel will help but you probably don't need too much. Just follow the instructions maybe a little under dosing in your case. Only thing in terms of care is to make sure the rhizome gets light.

What substrate and lighting do you have? I know java fern will grow in just about anything, not sure about the others..

You don't need special substrate for any of these plants. Place the banana plant with the banana looking part on top of the substrate and it will root in. The Java fern and anubia can be tied to driftwood or can be placed "roots" only in the substrate. The rhyzome has to be above the substrate tho, it cannot be buried.

Back
Top Bottom