Java fern brown

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

liljosh609

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have had my java fern for about 1 month and this leave started turning brown. It also really isn't growing. Is his leave going to be replaced by new ones, or am I in trouble? My lighting is low with only 30 watts in my 55?

Attachments

• image-3346008743.jpg
    image-3346008743.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 157
  • image-1858364557.jpg
    image-1858364557.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 171
That is low light, but it will be enough to support java fern. I can't tell from the pic... is the leaf actually turning, or is there just algae growing on the leaf?

If the leaf is actually turning brown, just trim off the bad leaves. Java fern leaves tend to get ugly as they get old. In another month or so, they will start to produce plantlets and you will have more java fern than you know what to do with :)

In the mean time, get rid of the bad leaves... they rob the plant of nutrients and energy that could be concentrated on creating new leaves and maintaining healthy ones.

Well I forgot o tell you that I just installed floramax lights which are good for pLants. It is a little curved but it holding it's shape and it is not algae. Now when you say to cut of the leave, do I do the whole thing because I thought it grew leaves on the dying one!

That leaf in particular looks a little too far gone to produce a plantlet. I would trim the entire leaf.

You are right though, once the plant starts producing, the new plantlets will grow on the older leaves (which can sometimes be ugly.. black spots and holes, etc).

Here is a pic of one of my old java ferns that started as 3 leaves:
19738-albums313-picture2744.jpg

Notice how even with a healthy fern, there are some black spots and ugliness to the larger, older leaves.

Oh wow. Thanks for the advice. How long did it take for it to get that big? And I have anacharis that isn't really growing, it been almost 2 weeks.

So that use to be only 3 leaves? Could mine ever get that big?

One thing I forgot to mention and I can't tell from you pics: make sure the rhizome of the plant is not buried under the substrate. That can cause the plant to die off.

liljosh609 said:
So that use to be only 3 leaves? Could mine ever get that big?

Yes but it will take awhile... Especially with 30 watts on the tank.

Oh thanks. The ryhzome or however you spell it has to be above the sand because it is all attAched to a rock by fishing line on top of it. The roots haven't attached to the rock yet and how long will that take for me?

A few months. Sounds like you are on the right track. I say trim the brown leaf or leaves, and give it some time. Nothing good happens quickly in an aquarium ;)

One more thing! Are there any other plants I can grow with my lighting?

fort384 said:
One thing I forgot to mention and I can't tell from you pics: make sure the rhizome of the plant is not buried under the substrate. That can cause the plant to die off.

I looked it up ;)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom