Java Fern brown leaves

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

evil Nick

Aquarium Advice Addict
My Java fern has been sprouting the new leaves at the top of its old ones and going brown.

I pulled one new bud off a leaf and gently just placed it on/in (not in really) the gravel top of my root tab placement to hold it in place so it can grow. It was aboue 1.5 inches and already looks like its shooting out a new leaf.
The other 2 sprouts on top of the plants look like they have roots but only very small leaves. When should I pull these off about 1.5 to 2"?
Should I clip the old brown leaves off or will they bounce back?
Also how long does it take for a java fern to regrow its leaves and the new buds to really take off? This thing seems SO SLOW compared to the rest of my plants.
Should I pull it out and snip all the old leaves off and see if it starts new ones?

Thanks

If a leaf starts to disintegrate it is better to snip it off. This way the plant won't try to send new resources to the already dead leaf, and so it will focus on new growth :)

I do this with all bad leafs, on any plant.

Sent per three-eyed raven...

If a leaf starts to disintegrate it is better to snip it off. This way the plant won't try to send new resources to the already dead leaf, and so it will focus on new growth :)

I do this with all bad leafs, on any plant.

Sent per three-eyed raven...

I dont want to snip off the leaf before the new bud is ready. How do you know when a new plant is ready to be snipped off and replanted on a JF?
thanks

I pull off the babies once there are some strong looking roots. I would leave for as long as you can stand it. But yes, snip off the old leaves. The more you trim Java Fern, the more it grows. You do need to have patience though, as with all plants.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom