Java Fern infected?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rsam

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello all,
There is something growing from almost every big leaf of my Java fern plant. It is almost like root or stem. Any idea what that is? Algae? Something to be concerned about? Is it a sign of some deficiency in my tank?
I just did my water test and the results are the exact same as the day I started the tank (11/24/12) Ammonia 0, Nitrite 0, Nitrate 5…
A very low tech setup, standard light fixture (reduced to 6 hours of light), other than some root tabs for the Amazon Swords I haven’t added anything else to the tank.
Any advice would be appreciated?
Thanks
Rick

Attachments

• fern1.jpg
    fern1.jpg
    203.7 KB · Views: 75
  • fern2.jpg
    fern2.jpg
    219.6 KB · Views: 57
Java fern grow little baby plants from the tips of tge leaves. Tge roots grow first( i think thats what you have on your leaves) . Once these plantlets are large enough they fall off and float to tge top or can be detached and then replanted.
If you really want you can gently scrape off yhe roots from leaves.

Im fairly sure tgats what it is. But wait for otgers to confirm

That is roots soon you will see a little stem then a leaf, if you look closely in my planted are you will see a bunch of lil stems in my substrate, that's my java ferns babies. Once they have grown out some you can easily scrape the baby off with your finger nail.

Agreed with above! Evidently likes your stats! You are going to have lots of new plantlets!! Nice job.

Cool…more plants :brows:
I have been thinking of trying to attach the java fern to my driftwood. Now should I wait till the stem/root detach and attach the new plantlets to the dw, or just take one of the current leaf with all the roots and attach that to the dw?
What is the best way to attach to dw, rubber band, fishing line..?
Once again thanks for all you help and advice.
Rick

No don't take leaf, it won't survive just wait for the babies they grow quite fast. If you use the babies then you can attach several where ever you want instead of one. Fishing line is best. Or I use plastic jewelry string so you can get the color of the wood.

Back
Top Bottom