Java Fern is floating!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

middlechild

Aquarium Advice Regular
I thought plants would be heavier than water, also there does not appear to be a root ball on the Java Fern from the lfs. Its about the size of a tennis ball. Do you have to anchor this plant to something for it to get established? Should I put it in water to root (lol!) Like driftwood and fishing line to tie it down near the base of the tank?

The zebra danios are starting to pick at it! 10G, and levels monitored daily.

You will need to tie it down or weight it down w/ something. Attaching it to driftwood is a good idea, or I've even kinda buried it in my gravel to hold it down. Thread works to tie it.

It depends on where you want it to go or how it fits in.

Most plants will float unless they are planted in the substrate or tied to a rock or driftwood.

Ok, I have tied the ball of fern down with dental floss, tying it to a bubbler thingy that had very small holes near the base. Next question then becomes how does the fern grow, will it eventually sprout roots as the piece I have looks like a cutting off a branch. Wasn't sure which end is up, so just tied the string around the middle. The fern is suspended an inch or two off the bottom, it just appears over the bubbly thingy.

Thanks for the help

If you've just got a bunch of unconnected leaves of Java Fern there's not much hope of you getting a plant out of the deal. Baby plants will sprout leaves, but a mature leaf removed from the main plant is unlikely to do the same.

Stem plants on the other hand will sprout new roots right below each spot where leaves meet the main stem. Also mosses will attach to things, but don't have roots. They just sort of spread.

Usually at the base of the fern there will be a rhizome (something that looks more of a brownish color, with perhaps small root-like things emerging from it). THAT is the part that you need to tie down so that it is attached to the rock or driftwood or whatever.

I don't think you can simply tie part of the stem to a surface and expect it to adhere.

I'm thinking that what Middlechild actually has is java MOSS in which case it doesn't really matter which way it is tied down.

Ahh, well if that is the case then yes, any part of it will eventually attach. :D

The ball has leaves, so Java moss is not likely. That was what I was looking for, Java Moss, yet the lfs only had this one last, lonely, Java Fern. The root ball appears to be either so small to non-existent, or not there at all. Its in the tank, to be monitored. If roots show up then I will reattach closer to something for the roots to grab onto.

Would it be possible for you to post a picture? From your description your plant either doesn't have any roots at all, or perhaps you're expecting the roots to be more like a potted plant's root structure. Java Ferns just get dark brown roots out of the rhizome which it uses to anchor itself, but does not get long roots which one might refer to as a root ball.

The ball has leaves, so Java moss is not likely. That was what I was looking for, Java Moss, yet the lfs only had this one last, lonely, Java Fern. The root ball appears to be either so small to non-existent, or not there at all. Its in the tank, to be monitored. If roots show up then I will reattach closer to something for the roots to grab onto.
I have Java MOSS - just let me know how much you need (cups). I can ship or I can meet on Manhattan (GCT, Murray Hill areas).
Please contact me via e-mail: gimincorp@optonline.net
P.S. I'm not a fish store, just a hobbyst.

Purrbox, your right I was confused with land plants. I'll try for a pic and post it.

gimincorp, thanks for the offer. NYC is about a four hour drive for me, although business has taken me into the city on more than one occasion. Not in the future though. I'll drop a mail regarding shipping arrangements, and payment for same. Thanks for the offer.

Back
Top Bottom