Java fern, leaves dying

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

swifty

Aquarium Advice Freak
I've seen this as the easiest plant to grow but for some reason one of my 2 ferns is having trouble. I tied both to different ends of my driftwood, and while the one at the right side has been growing new leaves every few days, the one on the left was growing well at first but started dying. The right fern is more red than the left, so I'm thinking its a different type, but still unsure as to why its growing better than the other.

I have a T5NO 18w colormax + 18w 6700k currently @ 8 hrs on a timer.

20 gallon long, the only thing I'm adding is flourish root tabs for my amazon swords. One is in a dormant phase I've been told, and the other seems to have a iron deficiency but I've yet to buy some new tabs.

The fern leaves will die off but new ones keep coming up, it just seems like it can't keep them.

I just re-scaped my tank and took all the anacharis out. Could the anacharis have been out-competing the ferns for nitrates/light? Is that even possible?

Anarchris is notorious for sucking up nutrients,a lot of aquarist use the plant during cycling...you can find some iron tabs on aquariumplants.com for your swords(replace every 45 days)&your ferns should benefit from a dose of Seachem's Flourish Comprehensive...

How long have you had these plants? It's possible that it's still have some adjusting problems. A nutrient-related problem is actually less likely than many other problems with Java ferns in general, as they are usually pretty slow growing and have lower demands in general, but its certainly possible.

Also, as much as it's a cop out, java ferns just do that once in a while. They start to pout for whatever reason, do it for a few weeks, and then sort their business out a few weeks later. The fact that its just one plant doing it suggests that it might be something unique to the plant and not a systemic problem.

Anarchris is notorious for sucking up nutrients,a lot of aquarist use the plant during cycling...you can find some iron tabs on aquariumplants.com for your swords(replace every 45 days)&your ferns should benefit from a dose of Seachem's Flourish Comprehensive...

Yeah, I keep seeing these suggested/reccommended so I'll eventually pick them up once I run out of flourish tabs. I'll try to get some pics later on tonight.

How long have you had these plants? It's possible that it's still have some adjusting problems. A nutrient-related problem is actually less likely than many other problems with Java ferns in general, as they are usually pretty slow growing and have lower demands in general, but its certainly possible.

Also, as much as it's a cop out, java ferns just do that once in a while. They start to pout for whatever reason, do it for a few weeks, and then sort their business out a few weeks later. The fact that its just one plant doing it suggests that it might be something unique to the plant and not a systemic problem.

I've had them for about 1-2 weeks. I tied each to some driftwood, and their roots have grown about an inch or inch and a half. I read it can take 4+ weeks for them to root to the driftwood so I plan on removing the string I tied them down with in another 3-4 weeks.

I hope it is just that one plant, but I'm going to see how they do without the 13-15 stems of anacharis in there hogging nutrients.

There's nothing wrong with my lighting though for those type of plants? 2x18w T5NO colormax+6700k on a 20g long @ 8 hrs/day?

That's a reasonable amount of light. You should consider using liquid carbon supplements at that level, but I'm not sure that I would consider it mandatory yet.

Actually, something you said before just caught my interest. What do you mean by 'more red'? Can you get a picture of that? Also, do you have nitrate test results handy?

That's a reasonable amount of light. You should consider using liquid carbon supplements at that level, but I'm not sure that I would consider it mandatory yet.

Actually, something you said before just caught my interest. What do you mean by 'more red'? Can you get a picture of that? Also, do you have nitrate test results handy?

Well, this morning I woke up and noticed that 1 of the ferns was uprooted from the driftwood. I ripped out some old anacharis because my convict kept tearing it out, so I'm thinking she did the same with that one. I have to take the driftwood out again and re-tie it tonight or tomorrow, but as of now here are the 2 ferns:

Photo Album - Imgur

This is them a few weeks ago on the right side of the driftwood as they are on the first pic:

http://i.imgur.com/0BG4U5ch.jpg

Those are crypts my friend. You need to get them into the substrate ASAP.

Last edited:
Haha, I thought so all along. The day I got them I had a feeling they were because the leaves didn't look right, but I figured it was just a different type. The guy gave me 2 for the price of 1 so I didn't question him, but in the back of my mind I had a feeling they weren't ferns.

Thanks for the clarification, is there a certain way to plant these? My swords I read I had to plant them enough but so that the bulb of the plant was exposed.

That's the correct way to plant a crypt as well. Had they been any other plant, they might have died on the wood, but crypts are basically indestructible so you'll be fine.

But yea, it looks like you have one red/bronze wendtii and one green one. The color difference are totally natural.

Are they as heavy root feeders as amazon swords? I have some extra flourish tabs that I can place.

Ok.

http://i.imgur.com/4QHyfBw.jpg

I planted them a bit deep and put a rock to try and prevent my convict from tearing them up, don't know how long it'll last. I placed a root tab right in the center of them; is it fine there or should I put 1 tab for each plant closer to them?

Back
Top Bottom