Java fern multiplying?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rockyofhockey

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hey guys got some java fern a week ago and noticed this on one of it's leaves
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1425263817.095160.jpg
I am assuming that those are roots but how do I trim it and replant it?

Rockyofhockey _/.\_

i wait a little bit, the leaves will start to show up soon, once the leaves showed up i just trimmed that section of the leaf and replanted the roots, i have more java fern than i know what to do with just from my 5g

Those are babies! Little leaves will come with those roots soon. When you're ready, you just pop 'em off and replant them (tie them to rock/driftwood) and keep it moving! I just did this for the first time last week. :)

Those are babies! Little leaves will come with those roots soon. When you're ready, you just pop 'em off and replant them (tie them to rock/driftwood) and keep it moving! I just did this for the first time last week. :)

i wait a little bit, the leaves will start to show up soon, once the leaves showed up i just trimmed that section of the leaf and replanted the roots, i have more java fern than i know what to do with just from my 5g

Wait so the new leaves form upside down or do they form on top of te existing leaf?

Rockyofhockey _/.\_

yours could be longer, i have very high lighting and i also fertilize, but IME java fern grows really fast

Attachments

• 20140922_113623.jpg
    20140922_113623.jpg
    191 KB · Views: 67
Yeah I have a Finnex on my tank plus dose co2 and micros/macros so mine get supercharged with growth.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Yeah I have a Finnex on my tank plus dose co2 and micros/macros so mine get supercharged with growth.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

yours could be longer, i have very high lighting and i also fertilize, but IME java fern grows really fast

I keep my lights on a 6 hour cycle....
Had them for a week and already sprouting new growth so I gotta be doing something right? Right ?

Rockyofhockey _/.\_

Another thing I have a huge sliding door window Infront of my tank but I have no algae or very little. How is this possible

Rockyofhockey _/.\_

Just depends on how much direct sunlight the tank is getting. Keeping up with water changes also reduces it.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Back
Top Bottom