Java fern Q

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bracey87

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So I got a couple of java ferns in pots I just took one out to glue to bogwood but when I took it out the pot they are just separate leaves no rhizome does this mean they are basically good for nothing but sprouting baby's I have stuck the leaves back in the tank just floating about at the moment because there are still loads of baby's growing of them at the moment

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1460711039510.jpg
    1460711039510.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 65
  • 1460711330107.jpg
    1460711330107.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 60
  • 1460711350186.jpg
    1460711350186.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 66
Those particular Ferns are difficult to grow in the tanks. Is it possible to return them and get a regular type Java Fern. Wide, Narrow, or Windelov will grow much better for you in the aquarium in water.

These kind can go dormant too from what I was told and are better suited as terrarium plants. I can't think of the name right now. I previously bought and rotted some of those too. I don't know that those leaves will grow babies like a regular java Fern will.

Those particular Ferns are difficult to grow in the tanks. Is it possible to return them and get a regular type Java Fern. Wide, Narrow, or Windelov will grow much better for you in the aquarium in water.

These kind can go dormant too from what I was told and are better suited as terrarium plants. I can't think of the name right now. I previously bought and rotted some of those too. I don't know that those leaves will grow babies like a regular java Fern will.

Thanks for your reply I thought this was a regular java fern but then again I don't know much at the mo I have got a windelov which was jst the same so got a few baby's of that which seem to be doing a lot better

Attachments

• 1460961824474.jpg
    1460961824474.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 45
The leaves can float around if they aren't a problem plugging up your filter. There is a fine line understanding if they are just rotting or are degrading and growing a new baby.

Brown skeleton leaf is alright with tiny green tufts at the edges. Mushy is rotted, throw out - you can always save the tiny babies.

Even if they are too small for the tank you can put them into a vase with pwc tank water in a window or under a CFL daylight bulb, with a K rating of around 5600K to 7600K.

The leaves can float around if they aren't a problem plugging up your filter. There is a fine line understanding if they are just rotting or are degrading and growing a new baby.

Brown skeleton leaf is alright with tiny green tufts at the edges. Mushy is rotted, throw out - you can always save the tiny babies.

Even if they are too small for the tank you can put them into a vase with pwc tank water in a window or under a CFL daylight bulb, with a K rating of around 5600K to 7600K.

No problems here at all leaves see still looking healthy and still loads of rhizomes sprouting from the leaves they have a good growth spurt when I dose with fertiliser no co2 at the mo still looking into that gonna get some liquid carbon to start dosing see how things go with that and if all is well might give the pressurized co2 a miss for now just don't wanna chuck the leaves as the rhizomes are still looking nice and healthy jst need a little boost I think

Attachments

• 1460963574658.jpg
    1460963574658.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 52
Back
Top Bottom