java fern Q and aponogeton Q *pics*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Meredith

Aquarium Advice Addict
Question 1. I had a bunch of java fern leaves with baby plants all over that I was "storing" in my betta tank. Well the parent leaves started to look really gross, so I took off all the baby plants. Was this a mistake? I would say 98% of them have roots. What can I do with these little guys? Can I leave them in a container to grow them out or do they need tropical conditions?

Question 2. I put one aponogeton bulb in the betta tank and it looks great. It shot off a long stem that I was expecting to be a flower, but it grew leaves instead and now it has roots too. It is still attached to the big plant, but do I need to bury the roots or just let it float at the top like its doing?

This is basically the same pic but max decided to come check things out :D

1. I would give them warm conditions, but they are easy to grow out.

2. The Aponogeton will do best planted...in fact, I believe they do poorly floating at the best of times.

So do I cut the stem from the big plant and bury the roots, or do I leave it attached?

After the baby plant grows more roots, I suggest you snip it off and plant it. I didn't know aponogetons did this!

hashbaz said:
I didn't know aponogetons did this!

Neither did I. I have had several of them flower but not this weird thing.
I will try planting in a few weeks. Thanks :D

With the ferns, it is best to wait until the plantlet (baby plants), have at least 5-6 leaves before pulling it off and re-attaching to some rocks or driftwood.

I just did the same with mine...I had 4 of them which are now on their own. :D

alot of mine fell off so i had to put them into a breeder trap so they dont get caught in the filter

There is only one species of aponogetan that grows plantlets rather than flowers, and you have it. I can't remember the species name.

Back
Top Bottom