java fern question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tarpon

Aquarium Advice Addict
So I just got some java fern from petsmart and it has these black spots on it. What are they? Are they bad?

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20110720_192513.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110720_192513.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 120
I had a more spread out version of the same color stuff on my anubias h. A night in the tank and my shrimp cleaned it like new.. mine wasn't spots though.. hope all goes well

I have a question regarding java fern and java moss. I am new at aquarium gardening and understand that these are hardy. I have gourami's (3) which I understand like to munch. Will they desimate the plants or just munch? I am planning to put the java in another tank for my platys but thought I would add some to my 37 gallon with the gourami- any advice?

i purchased my gouramis from a private party and have them about 5 weeks. healthiest fish ever! I was dubious about buying from someone rather than a store. I did not know her but the price was right and they are very healthy. After i got them I started some investigation as to their temperment. After what I read I expected them to kiss/kill each other and then the rest of the tank mates (2 rosy barbs, three hi fin red tetra, 2 silver fin tetra and one golden sailfin molly (her mate died). I have seen the three of the gourami get testy and challenge each other but seems they have decided the pecking order. Only time they pester each other seems to be at feeding time. i am feeding dried flakes and dried brine shrimp 2 times daily. Am I underfeeding? Hope they won't be too hard on the moss.

In a 20 gallon tank (planning to upgrade to 29H-what do you think?) I am looking to use it for live bearers like platy and swords. Currently I have 3 male platy and one male molly(new partner for mate in the37 gallon tank). When I got home i realized they had given me all males when I had told them I wanted 3 females and one male. Hoping to find a blue mickey mouse platy pair but pet stores don't seem to carry them often. Anyway, the java moss and fern are planned for that tank. Can I have a catfish or pleco in with the live bearers?

I have a question regarding java fern and java moss. I am new at aquarium gardening and understand that these are hardy. I have gourami's (3) which I understand like to munch. Will they desimate the plants or just munch? I am planning to put the java in another tank for my platys but thought I would add some to my 37 gallon with the gourami- any advice?

Gourami males can be hit or miss with plants I think. They often use plant material in their bubblenests or to anchor their nests in one place. Luckily my blue three spot female tends to leave my plants alone. As far as their temperament is concerned- I wouldn't be worried about them disturbing other fish so much as each other. Keep any eye out for any territorial behaviour between them as they grow.

Back
Top Bottom