Java Fern Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fish wrangler

Aquarium Advice Addict
How long before my newly formed java leaves will become their own plant? I posted a picture of the leaves is question. The biggest one is about 2 inches tall now. I have had the plants for 3 weeks now...i think

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1415848709163.jpg
    1415848709163.jpg
    171.4 KB · Views: 84
The baby ferns will start to grow off the old and dying leaves. So once some of your leaves start turning brown, baby plants will start growing.

Sent with my fingers

Ive got a few fern leaves turning spotted brown now myself. Thought I was doing something wrong. I did notice each leaf has what looks to be a entirely new plant growing from its tip.

Thanks

i know the new ferns will grow off the old leaves, but will the new ferns fall off the old dying leaf? If so how long does it take for them to fall off???

i know the new ferns will grow off the old leaves, but will the new ferns fall off the old dying leaf? If so how long does it take for them to fall off???

I just let them get about 2-3 inches and cut it off the old leaf. Mine normally do this in about 1-2 months. Super slow for me, but I have so many sometimes, I don't mind. My LFS does store credit for my excess plants.

If the baby plant has an inch or so of roots already, you can just gently pull it off and jam it in a crevice somewhere or tie it to something. Then cut off the old leaf of the parent plant. Java Fern loves to be trimmed. It will grow new leaves with a vengeance. The babies grow very slow at first.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I looked at the plant and am seeing alot of little plantlets starting to form on just about all the leaves. I will move the bigger ones onto my DW Sunday night.

I've found that if I leave little fernlets to grow on their old leaves, they'll hang onto them until the old leaf is little more than veins and threads. So I remove them when they have some roots and tie them to small rocks or wood to grow on.

Ok, I know I have some plantlets to move around tomorrow night then. Plan on adding some to my DW. Might add the plantlets to the 2 small bumps on the front side.

Attachments

• 1416098442994.jpg
    1416098442994.jpg
    183.1 KB · Views: 61
I have left my plant-lets to do there own thing lately. They become detached when ready and find another anchor. If they can't because if the water flow I tie a few together and secure them to wood or rock. They look better when bunched and soon grow on. Great little fillers.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I just plucked the plantlet off the parent stem, used some light fishing line, and tied it to the DW. In a couple of weeks I will be doing it all over with a different leaf. I am counting 7 different plantlets forming on one leaf :)

Attachments

• 1416180453351.jpg
    1416180453351.jpg
    206.2 KB · Views: 32
  • 1416180752089.jpg
    1416180752089.jpg
    184.1 KB · Views: 36
Back
Top Bottom