Java fern question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BigQFan

Aquarium Advice Activist
A friend gave me a Java fern leaf. I attached it to a rock and put it in, but should I expect anything except a dead Java fern leaf?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Java Fern is pretty resilient. You would have better luck with one of the "babies" that Java ferns produce on their leaves. It's basically a mini version on the leaf that will easily remove and can be tied down.

Caleb

Agreed, a small baby fern would have been better but dying leaves often produce a plantlet at the tip as it dies back. You have nothing to lose by seeing what happens but getting a small plantlet would be best.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Yeah, it was a gift. He just threw it in with some moss he gave me. We'll see what happens

Yeah, it was a gift. He just threw it in with some moss he gave me. We'll see what happens

I don't think it would hurt to ask him for an actual mini one though. Under good conditions it pops them out left and right.

Caleb

You can see the small plants growing at the tips of the leaves. They eventually float off and find a new home. Once it gets a hold its very productive.
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1432242339.166730.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom