Java fern questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ImBettaThanCool

Aquarium Advice Activist
You've probably all seen the photos of those really lush, green, and bushy Java ferns. Well, imagine the opposite of that. That's what I have. And I wanna fix that. Currently, I have 4 or 5 separate rhizomes of Java fern growing in my 6 gal betta tank. No ferts, no co2. There are very many young leaves sprouting from either the rhizome, or the leaf itself, but somehow, after 5 months or so, the ferns still look weak and tiny. The little leaves sort of just stopped at a puny 1 1/2 inch in length. Overall, the little bunch of ferns that I have look more like the skeleton of an actual Java fern bush.

1. Why are they not growing any bigger? Are they slow growers?

2. How do I get them to grow into a bush? Maybe bunch up their rhizomes?

If you know stuff about Java fern and know what to do, I would appreciate it if you would help me out.

You've probably all seen the photos of those really lush, green, and bushy Java ferns. Well, imagine the opposite of that. That's what I have. And I wanna fix that. Currently, I have 4 or 5 separate rhizomes of Java fern growing in my 6 gal betta tank. No ferts, no co2. There are very many young leaves sprouting from either the rhizome, or the leaf itself, but somehow, after 5 months or so, the ferns still look weak and tiny. The little leaves sort of just stopped at a puny 1 1/2 inch in length. Overall, the little bunch of ferns that I have look more like the skeleton of an actual Java fern bush.

1. Why are they not growing any bigger? Are they slow growers?

2. How do I get them to grow into a bush? Maybe bunch up their rhizomes?

If you know stuff about Java fern and know what to do, I would appreciate it if you would help me out.

proper lighting, ferts be it liquid,dry or dirt will make them grow really well. co2 helps also but isnt absolutely needed. keeping something even like java fern in a sand only substrate and have it feed on only fish waste will not allow it to grow big and lush. java fern really isnt a real fast grower but its not a super slow grower either. you just need to get it proper food and light and it will do well.

these are my java ferns. well half of it. some of the leaves look alittle rough from my previous scape where those leaves would stick out of the water. mine arent the biggest or must lush but they are growing well.

hk4ef4b.jpg

proper lighting, ferts be it liquid,dry or dirt will make them grow really well. co2 helps also but isnt absolutely needed. keeping something even like java fern in a sand only substrate and have it feed on only fish waste will not allow it to grow big and lush. java fern really isnt a real fast grower but its not a super slow grower either. you just need to get it proper food and light and it will do well.

these are my java ferns. well half of it. some of the leaves look alittle rough from my previous scape where those leaves would stick out of the water. mine arent the biggest or must lush but they are growing well.

hk4ef4b.jpg
Thanks for the tip. I'll definitely look into some liquid ferts. What kind of ferts do you suggest for Java fern? Nitrogen? Iron? Etc.

Are the leaf colour a nice green or pale / whitening? On my beta tank I had to tape off 2/3 of lights from advice here to drop light down. Then it was ok with no ferts / CO2.

Are the leaf colour a nice green or pale / whitening? On my beta tank I had to tape off 2/3 of lights from advice here to drop light down. Then it was ok with no ferts / CO2.
Some leaves are turning brown and I think those are the dead ones. I've only ever had one leaf turn pale before but it never happened again. Right now my leaves are very green but still tiny which is my problem.

Sounds like it’s growing as getting plantlets.

Mine get brown leaves as well - that’s ok.

What light do you have on it and is there good water flow to keep bringing CO2 from air to plants?

Liquid ferts / CO2 (glut) will help as mentioned above. Just keep an eye out for algae (the good news is you don’t have that, suggests missing a fert / low something, rather than too much of something).

Sounds like it’s growing as getting plantlets.

Mine get brown leaves as well - that’s ok.

What light do you have on it and is there good water flow to keep bringing CO2 from air to plants?

Liquid ferts / CO2 (glut) will help as mentioned above. Just keep an eye out for algae (the good news is you don’t have that, suggests missing a fert / low something, rather than too much of something).
I have the fluval Chi filter box(which I despise) but I am getting a new filter and light system soon. The filter does not have great flow and barely makes a disturbance on the surface. The light is also pretty weak and tends to get covered by air bubbles(the lights are in an indent in the box, creating an air bubble when the filter is put in the water) do you think seachem flourish will work? Also, can I tie Java fern onto cholla wood?

Honestly though, I might just end up getting a new bunch of Java fern because this was my fault to begin with. I started off with a decent bunch of them, but I decided to separate them (there were like 5 or 6 separate rhizomes in the bunch) because I wanted them all to grow their own big bunch. That didn't happen. Instead of a forest of Java fern, I was left with a skeleton of a forest. Now all the original leaves have died and left behind new Plantlets. Here's a Pic. 1531587414687.jpg1531587464602.jpg

Back
Top Bottom