Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Planted Tanks
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 07-13-2018, 02:03 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
ImBettaThanCool's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 108
Java fern questions

You've probably all seen the photos of those really lush, green, and bushy Java ferns. Well, imagine the opposite of that. That's what I have. And I wanna fix that. Currently, I have 4 or 5 separate rhizomes of Java fern growing in my 6 gal betta tank. No ferts, no co2. There are very many young leaves sprouting from either the rhizome, or the leaf itself, but somehow, after 5 months or so, the ferns still look weak and tiny. The little leaves sort of just stopped at a puny 1 1/2 inch in length. Overall, the little bunch of ferns that I have look more like the skeleton of an actual Java fern bush.

1. Why are they not growing any bigger? Are they slow growers?

2. How do I get them to grow into a bush? Maybe bunch up their rhizomes?

If you know stuff about Java fern and know what to do, I would appreciate it if you would help me out.
__________________

__________________
ImBettaThanCool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 04:49 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: mississippi
Posts: 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImBettaThanCool View Post
You've probably all seen the photos of those really lush, green, and bushy Java ferns. Well, imagine the opposite of that. That's what I have. And I wanna fix that. Currently, I have 4 or 5 separate rhizomes of Java fern growing in my 6 gal betta tank. No ferts, no co2. There are very many young leaves sprouting from either the rhizome, or the leaf itself, but somehow, after 5 months or so, the ferns still look weak and tiny. The little leaves sort of just stopped at a puny 1 1/2 inch in length. Overall, the little bunch of ferns that I have look more like the skeleton of an actual Java fern bush.

1. Why are they not growing any bigger? Are they slow growers?

2. How do I get them to grow into a bush? Maybe bunch up their rhizomes?

If you know stuff about Java fern and know what to do, I would appreciate it if you would help me out.

proper lighting, ferts be it liquid,dry or dirt will make them grow really well. co2 helps also but isnt absolutely needed. keeping something even like java fern in a sand only substrate and have it feed on only fish waste will not allow it to grow big and lush. java fern really isnt a real fast grower but its not a super slow grower either. you just need to get it proper food and light and it will do well.



these are my java ferns. well half of it. some of the leaves look alittle rough from my previous scape where those leaves would stick out of the water. mine arent the biggest or must lush but they are growing well.

__________________

__________________
goatnad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 04:51 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
ImBettaThanCool's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by goatnad View Post
proper lighting, ferts be it liquid,dry or dirt will make them grow really well. co2 helps also but isnt absolutely needed. keeping something even like java fern in a sand only substrate and have it feed on only fish waste will not allow it to grow big and lush. java fern really isnt a real fast grower but its not a super slow grower either. you just need to get it proper food and light and it will do well.



these are my java ferns. well half of it. some of the leaves look alittle rough from my previous scape where those leaves would stick out of the water. mine arent the biggest or must lush but they are growing well.

Thanks for the tip. I'll definitely look into some liquid ferts. What kind of ferts do you suggest for Java fern? Nitrogen? Iron? Etc.
__________________
ImBettaThanCool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 07:34 PM   #4
AA Member
Community Moderator
 
Delapool's Avatar



POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Perth, Australia
Posts: 14,873
Are the leaf colour a nice green or pale / whitening? On my beta tank I had to tape off 2/3 of lights from advice here to drop light down. Then it was ok with no ferts / CO2.
__________________
Delapool is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 08:14 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
ImBettaThanCool's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delapool View Post
Are the leaf colour a nice green or pale / whitening? On my beta tank I had to tape off 2/3 of lights from advice here to drop light down. Then it was ok with no ferts / CO2.
Some leaves are turning brown and I think those are the dead ones. I've only ever had one leaf turn pale before but it never happened again. Right now my leaves are very green but still tiny which is my problem.
__________________
ImBettaThanCool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 10:53 AM   #6
AA Member
Community Moderator
 
Delapool's Avatar



POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Perth, Australia
Posts: 14,873
Sounds like itís growing as getting plantlets.

Mine get brown leaves as well - thatís ok.

What light do you have on it and is there good water flow to keep bringing CO2 from air to plants?

Liquid ferts / CO2 (glut) will help as mentioned above. Just keep an eye out for algae (the good news is you donít have that, suggests missing a fert / low something, rather than too much of something).
__________________
Delapool is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 11:19 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
ImBettaThanCool's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delapool View Post
Sounds like itís growing as getting plantlets.

Mine get brown leaves as well - thatís ok.

What light do you have on it and is there good water flow to keep bringing CO2 from air to plants?

Liquid ferts / CO2 (glut) will help as mentioned above. Just keep an eye out for algae (the good news is you donít have that, suggests missing a fert / low something, rather than too much of something).
I have the fluval Chi filter box(which I despise) but I am getting a new filter and light system soon. The filter does not have great flow and barely makes a disturbance on the surface. The light is also pretty weak and tends to get covered by air bubbles(the lights are in an indent in the box, creating an air bubble when the filter is put in the water) do you think seachem flourish will work? Also, can I tie Java fern onto cholla wood?
__________________
ImBettaThanCool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 12:58 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
ImBettaThanCool's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 108
Honestly though, I might just end up getting a new bunch of Java fern because this was my fault to begin with. I started off with a decent bunch of them, but I decided to separate them (there were like 5 or 6 separate rhizomes in the bunch) because I wanted them all to grow their own big bunch. That didn't happen. Instead of a forest of Java fern, I was left with a skeleton of a forest. Now all the original leaves have died and left behind new Plantlets. Here's a Pic. Click image for larger version

Name:	1531587414687.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	132.1 KB
ID:	309643Click image for larger version

Name:	1531587464602.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	116.6 KB
ID:	309644
__________________
ImBettaThanCool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 09:38 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
TMaier's Avatar



POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Concord, CA
Posts: 4,208
Java doesnít need strong light. A bit of liquid ferts should do the trick.
__________________

__________________
Old lady with tanks...
TMaier is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
java, java fern, question, questions

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mother Java Fern, Mother Narrow Leaf Java Fern, Other Java Ferns - Just Cover S/H Atl300zx Archive 18 12-18-2009 04:27 AM
Java Moss,Guppy Grass, Java Fern 4 sale shawnryan1977 Archive 3 04-13-2006 03:17 PM
Wanted: Java Moss/Java Fern llh0043 Archive 1 11-22-2005 05:17 AM
Java Fern and Java Moss lyquidphyre Freshwater & Brackish - Planted Tanks 9 08-12-2005 11:08 AM
Java Moss and Java Fern Rxblade123 Freshwater & Brackish - Planted Tanks 16 10-24-2004 02:33 AM







» Photo Contest Winners








Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:11 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.