Java fern rhizome

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Twood9615

Aquarium Advice Activist
I'm currently reviving a java fern piece and I was wondering if I should cut away the end of the rhizome or leave it, it hasn't shown any signs of root growth or leaves and the end is beginning to brown should I just cut off the piece that is not showing any growth or leave it alone?

Attachments

• image-67933566.jpg
    image-67933566.jpg
    125.5 KB · Views: 71
If you have a leaf, plant the leaf in the substrate and a new plant will grow from it

Your not supposed to plant java fern In the substrate though because the rhizome can rot and kill the plant so what should I do with the one in the picture I attached.

I'm not sure on the one in the picture, but if you have just a leaf from that plant it can grow a new one, i did that

Oh okay, well that's all that I have right now so ill just see how it comes along thanks for the advice.

I'm sorry I'm not great help. Hopefully someone that knows more can help

Cut off the brown part but cut about 1/4 inch of the green as well. I've had rhizomes with no leaves before and over time it began sprouting leaves from various places on the bare rhizome. It did take a long time so be patient. Just keep any brown area's cut off.

Okay ill cut off the brown at the end and split the remaining rhizome, it was totally bare and as you can see it has recently started growing small leaves in the last couple weeks but that took well over a month of sitting a barren rhizome in my window to start growing haha so yeah i have learned to be patient with it.

Back
Top Bottom