Java Fern Turning Black

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JDogg

Aquarium Advice Addict
well hello all, i have been pretty absent from the forum scene for a while now (a demanding new job w/ a long commute will do that) but i will try to be back on more often as i work on my latest project (a nano reef) and of course maintain all my other tanks :D

i do have a question i want hoping for an answer to...
it is in my 75 Gallon planted tank
lights are 4 48" T8 6500 k bulbs
DIY CO2
dosing KNO3, KSO4, KH2PO4, flourish trace and CSM+B

i have a java fern in the tank that the older leaves are turning black. the java ferns that i have in other (lower light) tanks (but the rest is the same) do not have this problem. the plant does get direct light in this tank, more so now that i removed the tiger lilies that were shading most of the undergrowth. is it possible that it is getting too much light?

thought?

TIA

My Java ferns (normal and needle leaf) turn black, and then begin to sprout new plantlets. I would say that this is very normal to have the older leaves turn black. If you do not see new plantlets within a couple of weeks, I would begin removing the black leaves.

DIY CO2, well, a decline in the rate of CO2 has repeatedly induce this.

No, it's not normal growth, I no longer have any issues as long as the CO2 is up. I wanted to know why myself, the plant grows extremely well and never gets blackened with good CO2, even under a MH.

If you have less light, it can still do pretty good without higher CO2, but you still need good stable CO2.

DIY on a 75 gallon tank is a smoking gun.

If you can repeatedly induce the blackening and then get rid of it with just one parameter, then it's pretty likely we can say that is (at least one) a cause.

Regards,
Tom Barr

Back
Top Bottom