Java Fern Varieties

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishperson

Aquarium Advice Addict
Java ferm is a classic aquarium plant; good looking and very hardy. But I've read mixed things about its maximum potential growth (some say it's based on variety, some say based on light) and how each of the varieties behaves.

So if you have experience with any type of Java fern (regular, Philippine, trident, 'mini', narrow leaf, needle leaf, lace, windelov, 'red', and any other varieties) I would love if you could tell me a bit about what conditions it needs, what the differences between the varieties are (firsthand experience would be best), how long the leaves get to for you, AND what the conditions of YOUR tank are (i.e., low light, no co2, etc).

Thanks!

I've got a huge regular java fern. Has TONS of baby plants hanging off the ends, everywhere. I have it under normal stock LED's, no Co2 and I just dose some API Co2 Booster every couple days or so. I dropped a leaf of it into my 5.5, where I run a much higher light + Co2 + API Co2 Booster, and the babies on that leaf went nuts! If you can grow this plant under the best conditions you have it will grow non stop, but even in the lowest of the low tech set ups it will still grow fast. What kind of java fern are you looking at getting?

I've got a huge regular java fern. Has TONS of baby plants hanging off the ends, everywhere. I have it under normal stock LED's, no Co2 and I just dose some API Co2 Booster every couple days or so. I dropped a leaf of it into my 5.5, where I run a much higher light + Co2 + API Co2 Booster, and the babies on that leaf went nuts! If you can grow this plant under the best conditions you have it will grow non stop, but even in the lowest of the low tech set ups it will still grow fast. What kind of java fern are you looking at getting?

Something small with narrow leaves but I'm not sure if that's trident, narrow leaf, needle leaf, or 'mini'. I've heard plenty of different things about each.

I have very low tech tanks. Windelov has always stayed quite small for me. The regular has gotten very tall.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I have Java fern lace in a flu am spec with the stock light. I dose excel every now and then (whenever I remember ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I have a high tech tank running my BML at 100% with co2 injection and GLAs EI ferts. My Java fern Windelov went crazy when I upgraded by lights and loves the light. It is HUGE and takes up the background of about a third of my 55 gallon. It grows beautiful lacy leaves that I prefer over the standard java fern. This java fern variety prefers a little bit higher light than the standard and seems less prone to algae takeover in a high light aquarium. In too low of light it seems like it kind of slowly shrinks. It can grow pretty fast in highlight conditions and really take over your tank. A great plant though so I have no problem with that! (y)

I'm going to change things up.

I have a big Java Fern established in my 75g on a rock. I dose Metricide when I remember to.

No babies at all. When it was a smaller plant and I ran co2, it put out baby plants left and right, I have about 6 more Java ferns that were established from it.

I think co2 is the big determining factor here.

Caleb

I'm learning that perhaps I should pass on the Windelov variety then in my low tech setups. Very interesting thread.

So the wendelov does great for me under low light and not much excel. I also have a standard Java fern from pet supermarket and there were 10+ babies coming off of it from crappy lighting there and no co2. Only have had it for a little bit, so not much growth. The wendelov hasn't made babies, but it's growing a ton of new leaves.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

So based on what Dallas said what I read online is correct; that the plant grows proportionally to the lighting. Co2 is also a factor I'm sure, but I would imagine that lack of co2 just limits growth and causes algae in general; it doesn't allow it to grow (I assume).

Therefore (these are just speculations based on this thread and what I've read):

Low light, low co2: Small but relatively health plant for most varieties. Slow growth.

Low light, high co2: Slightly larger and healthier plant. Growth somewhat faster.

High light, low co2: Medium sized and unhealthy plant. Growth may be fast or may not, but will have lots of algae.

High light, high co2: Very large and healthy plant. Growth is very fast.

I also think that windelov and the needle leaf varieties do worse under lower light due to leaf size/shape. The leaves evolved or were created (whatever you believe) to be efficient anyway, so it stands to reason that the regular varieties are more efficient than the others (that were artificially selected, I assume?) in that respect.

Thanks for the answers guys.

Anyone out there with experience with mini, needle, narrow, or trident varieties?

A little update here since I've been researching this a bit:

It seems that most sites have agreed that in low light the leaves are much smaller.

There also seems to be a consensus that needle leaf have longer, thinner leaves than narrow leaf. (Java fern varieties/clones - General Aquarium Plants Discussions - Aquatic Plant Central)

Mini is still puzzling. Some people have written that there is no such thing, just plants that are small due to lower light, but others are saying that they actually have it. After reading a link about someone who bought it from a aquatic plant farm (MAC Forum 2.0 • View topic - Mini Java Fern?) I'm pretty sure it is real. However, I've heard it is a very slow grower.

I've found almost no information about trident except that it is one of the newer varieties. I like it less and less now although the leaf structure is admittedly quite unique.

I just saw the trident variety at my lfs a few days ago. I wasn't very impressed with it.

I gave trident java fern a try. Not a fan. Im still not convinced its not a bog variety of java fern. It did much betterhalf submerged outside in my pond. It did Horribly in my 55gl.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom