Java fern, will they come back??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Meredith

Aquarium Advice Addict
After (stupidly) dosing my aquarium with ferts, which I apparently didn't need, my java ferns leaves started turning a very bad greyish dark brown color and then started falling apart. I remember my mother saying once about how she used to much fertilizer on one of her plants and the leaves "burned" because of it. I am wondering if this isn't the case with the jf. ANYway, I got sick of looking at the gross leaves and hacked them all away. My once lush ferns now have one or two leaves. Will the plant grow back? Or is all lost?

All is not lost Meredith. From one leaf come many. Patience is required. :wink:

Brian is 100% correct Meredith. I have a narrow leaf fern that seemed all but totally died out. I wanted to just yank it out but, looking at the roots told me a different story. The roots were still alive. 8O I left it alone and now I have an 8" bush growing where once nothing was there.

My JF started to fall apart with no apparent cause (before I upgraded my lights and started dosing ferts) but now it is budding new plants at the ends of the larger leaves.

Back
Top Bottom