Java fern windelov question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mattcham

Aquarium Advice FINatic
My healthy looking java fern windelov is growing a lot of roots from the tips of its leaves. What do these roots mean? Lack of nutrients? The leaves look nice and healthy and seem to be growing OK with no CO2 and no ferts in a low light tank with heavy bioload.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Aquarium Advice mobile app

It sounds like the java fern is developing "baby" plantlets. Once the plantlets grow bigger, you can remove them from the parent plant and plant them on their own.

I read that the plant is breeding this way but the roots are on the largest nicest leaves, so does that mean my plant will lose its largest nicest leaves to become a new baby plant? The mother plant will then shrink? (Because the largest leaf will die?)

The only time I had problems was when the plantlets were so thick they practically made a carpet on the large leaf. Otherwise, the plantlets usually come off cleanly without damaging the parent plant.

Thanks for the clarification. I thought the parent leaf dies while the baby grows on it.

Will the baby have its own rhizome?

Back
Top Bottom