Java Ferns

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aqualady40

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hi, I have a java fern planted in flourite capped with pfs. I use flourish comp 2x weekly, excel daily, and root tabs with iron monthly. I want to hear from those who currently have java ferns or has grown them before.
1.) In your opinion and experience, is it better to attach this plant to driftwood or plant in subtrate?
2.) How did you prune/propagate?

Much better to attach to decor. If they are in the substrate the rhizome can rot and kill the plant.
You can cut any damaged leaves off at the base. To propagate you can cut the rhizome in two, leaving some leaves on each side, creating two plants or wait until new daughter plants grow on the leaves of the mother plant or take old leaves and float in the tank to encourage daughter plants to sprout. Once new plants have 3-4 good sizes leaves you can pluck them from the mother plant and tie elsewhere.

All I have done for my Java ferns is push the ends of the "roots" (I think they might also be considered the rhizome?) While leaving the main rhizome that the leaves are coming out of, out of the substrate. After they grow a little more they become more secure, and my Java ferns have always done great like this.
As for propagation I just break off a section of the plant with the rhizome and place it somewhere else.

That can work but tying it down never fails. If your ferns are healthy you can leave them as they are. The rhizome it the important part to leave exposed.

I originally planted the whole bottom not knowing better because I'm new to planting and it appears that it wanted to grow planted but then it's slowly starting to not look happy...so I did pull it out and tied it to my dw.....in genera, do u think it will snap back? Will post pic when I get home...

I couldn't say. It depends on so many things. Just don't leave the lights on for more than 10 hours a day maximum.

Back
Top Bottom