Java ferns

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Exigenn

Aquarium Advice Freak
How do you go about getting these nice, dense java ferns?

All the ones i have are very thin and kind of look like crap?

Idk i have the same problem erggghhh

Sent from my LG-H634 using Tapatalk

Do you dose ferts in the water at all? I recently started dosing dry Potassium Sulfate from green leaf aquariums and my Java Ferns are exploding!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Good fertilizer and good CO2. Java Ferns grow more slowly with low light, and grow fast in high light. Give them time. It takes Java Fern a couple months to start taking off. Now pressurized CO2 isn't necessary for Java Fern, but it will help them become lush and full; Flourish Excel or Metricide 14 are alternatives.

I believe that Good Co2 really is the key. I grow some really nice java fern windelov in my high tech 55 gallon. Compared to growth from years ago before I had pressurized CO2 the current growth is incredibly lush and full. Dosing Excel would also work if you did it consistently.

COWBOYNATION waiting for the draft lol but yea i have pressurized co2 an i growth but not much an u i use the seachem flourish line

COWBOYNATION waiting for the draft lol but yea i have pressurized co2 an i growth but not much an u i use the seachem flourish line

Hmm. The only thing I can think of is light. Although Java ferns will survive in low light they will not get as full and lush in my experience. Ever since I moved mine to high light a few years back they have really exploded and have looked awesome ever since.

What is CO2? Is it a liquid you put in the tank with the fertilizer?

CO2 is carbon dioxide. There are some varieties of "liquid CO2" that will produce CO2 in a tank via reactions, such as Flourish Excel, API CO2 booster, and Metricide 14. Pressurized CO2 comes from a tank and feeds it directly into the water via a reactor, atomizer, or diffuser.

Back
Top Bottom