Java Moss

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ziggs180

Aquarium Advice Freak
I've been seeing tanks with Java moss, and I've become very interested in it. I've read that its a low light and very hardy plant, but I'm just wondering if there anything special about taking care of it. I'm planning to take chunks and attatch them to some Rocks I have in my tank, as well as my Driftwood. How long would it take for the Java moss to start expanding and start covering my gravel? Are there any downsides to having java moss carpets?

My current lighting is about 2.7 Watts per Gallon (80 Watts total), although I plan to get a second fixture set and upgrade to about 4 Watts per gallon.

it is extremely hardy. it would probably take a few months for it to attach to the driftwood and rocks, but that all depends on how much light you have. with that much light i'd say you'll be fine, and it'll probably attach quicker. the issue with java moss carpets are that they are very hard to clean. if you're interested in java moss, i'd suggest maybe trying to build a moss wall instead of a carpet. :)

I'm going to be setting up a 5 Gallon tank within a month or two, and I'll probably build a moss wall for that tank. For my 29 Gallon, it would be to much of a hassle. Cleaning isnt a big problem, because I have a dirt-planted aquarium and I cant touch the gravel regardless. Around how much time does it take for the Java moss to start spreading from the rock to the gravel, or spreading across my Driftwood?

it's a pretty slow grower in low light, but it should take a good month or two for it to really get growing.

Back
Top Bottom