Java moss

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If your talking about the algae on your moss then i would assume it's a nutrient imbalance. I had the same problem until i completely understood the relationship that plants and algae have with the available nutrients in a closed system such as an aquarium.
What kind of lighting do you have?

yes I guess thats what is growing in the moss, 1 cfl 13 watt 6700k daylight...running time 8-10 hours and WAS sitting on the glass top NOW it sits about 6 inches away, no ferts only soil capped with pfs

There may be nutrients coming from the soil.
The light you have sounds good for low to medium light plants. You could try cutting the photoperiod back to 6-7 hrs.
Have you considered using co2? I had bba almost take over my one tank until I finally followed the advice of some of the more knowledgeable peeps here like: jetajockey, fort, rivercats and aquachem just to name a few. Any of these guys-gals know "whats up" in a planted tank. Is the algae just occurring on the moss or is it starting to appear in other places as well?
Oh, I forgot to ask earlier, how big is this tank?

its a 5g rcs tank and yes starting to see lil green algae spots on dw
being the tank is so small with low/mod plants i dont think investing in co2 is worth the trouble....however I thought about the diy co2 but dont understand how it works

Diy co2 is simple really. It's just a sugar, yeast and water mixture. As the yeast feeds off of the sugar it releases 2 biproducts, co2 and alcohol. The only problem is the longer the mix is used the more alcohol is accumulated and it eventually kills the yeast.
Diy co2 would be a cinch in a 5gal aquarium. The larger you go the harder it is to get optimal amounts of co2 for the plants.
I use 2-2liter bottles on my 20gal long and maintain about 1 bubble per 2-3 seconds.

Diy co2 is simple really. It's just a sugar, yeast and water mixture. As the yeast feeds off of the sugar it releases 2 biproducts, co2 and alcohol. The only problem is the longer the mix is used the more alcohol is accumulated and it eventually kills the yeast.
Diy co2 would be a cinch in a 5gal aquarium. The larger you go the harder it is to get optimal amounts of co2 for the plants.
I use 2-2liter bottles on my 20gal long and maintain about 1 bubble per 2-3 seconds.

I have a planted 20H with no co2 only seachem flourish/comp do you think you could step me through it for my 20 and 5? If so what supplies will I need?

Hopefully someone will reply with a link for you. I can't post links w/my phone. To give you an idea here's a list i have in use myself.
2-empty 2liter bottles.
1- brass "T" for airline junction.
1- 12' roll of airline tubing.
A few packages of bakers yeast.
Box of baking soda.
10lb. bag of cane sugar.
A diffuser to mix co2 bubbles so they dissolve
(I use a cheap aqua tech 5-15 hob from walmart)
1 check valve for airline.

The recipe i use for the mixture is.
Fill 2liter bottles 2/3 full of warm tapwater.
Add a pinch of baking soda.
2cups sugar.
Cap it and shake till sugar disolves.
Add 1 tsp. Active dried bakers yeast.
Shake again til the granules dissolve "somewhat"

It should start producing co2 within an hour or so.

I can tell you BBA seems to love growing up in the high light areas of the tank and it looks like the moss is pretty close to the light (or is it just an illusion in the pic). I'd spot treat with a 2ml of Excel daily to help kill it off and then cut your light hours down to 6 and see if it corrects itself. In a tank that small you could do a little bottle of Excel/Glutaraldehyde/API CO2 Booster and it would last pretty long since you'd only add .5ml daily and could go up to 1ml daily if you wanted. That is not very much so it wouldn't cost very much. It will aid in photosynthesis and growth helping the plants to outcompete algae. DIY CO2 can be used also. Both help to retart algae growth. You could also add a little bit of floating plants to help cut down on light.

I can tell you BBA seems to love growing up in the high light areas of the tank and it looks like the moss is pretty close to the light (or is it just an illusion in the pic). I'd spot treat with a 2ml of Excel daily to help kill it off and then cut your light hours down to 6 and see if it corrects itself. In a tank that small you could do a little bottle of Excel/Glutaraldehyde/API CO2 Booster and it would last pretty long since you'd only add .5ml daily and could go up to 1ml daily if you wanted. That is not very much so it wouldn't cost very much. It will aid in photosynthesis and growth helping the plants to outcompete algae. DIY CO2 can be used also. Both help to retart algae growth. You could also add a little bit of floating plants to help cut down on light.[/QUOTE

Yes it was really really close to the light.... i moved the light its no longer close.... its inches away....i will use excel to treat and give 6 hours of light....so should i do this daily? Should i lower the dw that has the moss on it to assist with killing the algae (will keep light from being too close)?

Since you moved the light I'd wait on moving the DW. I'd treat the algae once and see if it begins to turn white/pink/red in a day or two. If it does that means it's dying. If it doesn't I'd do another Excel treatment. Then see if leaving your lights on only 6 hours and having the light further away keeps the algae away. If not you may have to lower the DW as a last resort.

Since you moved the light I'd wait on moving the DW. I'd treat the algae once and see if it begins to turn white/pink/red in a day or two. If it does that means it's dying. If it doesn't I'd do another Excel treatment. Then see if leaving your lights on only 6 hours and having the light further away keeps the algae away. If not you may have to lower the DW as a last resort.

Okay thanks will give this a try

Back
Top Bottom