java moss

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ct67_72

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have read some on it, but I am still wondering after finally getting some.
I tied a spread out section on some rock, there is a slight current near it. and the fish like to swim through it. som eof it has seporated. will waht seporated "grab" on to whatever its on if it stays there? and does it matter how much is there? because there are some small sections that are in the gravel now.
I dont really care where it goes as long as it stays and isnt floating around, lol. thanks. Dan

you did well by spreading it out, if its just in one big clump it wont spread, and java moss can also just be floated in the tank or like me you can tie it onto something

I made that mistake the first time I tried it out and ended up with none of it grabbing because the moss at the bottom of the clump died. Second time around I spread it around thinly and tied it with thread, and it grew out well but as the thread rots it dangles around and is hard to pick out so if you're picky I'd use fishing line and then remove it after some time.

I've had great luck so far with it tied to a rock or my dwarft wood using fishing line. It has taking it around two weeks for it to attach to the wood and is just now starting to attach it's self to the the rocks. The one important thing is to make sure it's layed out in thin layers. Whitch you've done. Give it a whaile and it will take hold. It also works great in fry tanks just floatin. Betta's just love it.

I will tell you this: If you are not careful and keep it tied down, it will dislodge and find it's way to your intake tube and then into your filter. It can and will attach itself to your impeller and create havoc. Even one strand is enough to do this, since it loves nutrient rich water, growth will continue.

The best way to is monitor growth from the original location of attachment...tie the new growth down and continue doing so until it achieves the look you want. One suggestion is along the top or sides of driftwood.

Back
Top Bottom