Java Moss and Crystalwort

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

azn_fishy55

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Does anyone have any advice keeping java moss and crystalwort?I ordered some java moss from aquariumplants.com and it died very quickly, and I want to get some crystalwort(riccia) and need some advice. Thanks!

Crystalwort (Riccia fluitans) requires high light and CO2 supplementation to grow properly. 2.5 wpg of CF lighting should do the job for light, but without CO2 it will turn brown and wither.

Java moss (Taxiphyllum barbieri) should grow in just about any conditions. Low- to high-light, CO2 or no CO2. You don't want to put in your tank in a ball or large clump, but rather spread it thinly over a surface and attach it with cotton thread which will eventually rot away once the moss has attached itself.

I have had javamoss before and it grew all over the place with about 1.4wpg and DIY CO2, no further ferts except for fish waste.

I ordered some javamoss from the same place as you now, and it died within a few weeks, never even attempted to start new growth.

Well, the tank I had it in had been one month old when I added all the plants, but now its been a good 4 months and there are about 6 guppies and 1 indian glassfish. The other plants I have are temple plant, java fern, and I used to have glosso but it died. Oh, I forgot to mention this is a BW tank :oops: sorry guys

azn... your tank isn't fully cycled yet if you are showing any amounts of nitrites, that or you have recently increased your bio load. Either way, don't add anymore fish until your nitrites fall to 0 ppm.

Secondly, I have java moss in a tank with 1.5 wpg and i dont' inject CO2 only fert once a week. My moss is out of control, do you use fertilizer?

I used to use tetra FloraPride but I stopped, I dunno why but I just stopped. Well, I just changed the filter cartridge, and re-planted the tank, but after that I did a medium water change(40%).And its only been a week since I did that.

Andrew, how much salt are you using for the BW? What kind of substrate do you have? Glosso is usually planted as individual stalks using tweezers. Most aquatics don't tolerate much salt so your brackish water may kill everything you plant. Is there something you plan to have that needs salt?

You don't really plant java moss. Use string or thread to attach it to a rock, ornament, really anything you like. It will grow "stickys" and eventually hold itself on.

Back
Top Bottom