Java Moss and Shipping

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PK Tester

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hey everyone...

I recently discovered on Aquabid people selling javamoss for like...

$10 for a cup of it!

Wow...

and all this time I have been throwing probally about 5 cups away every month!

Well its time to change all this LOL

Is there any way possible to ship java moss in the winter at a resonable price?

Also...How do you ship it? haha

Thanks in advance!

Chemical pouch hand warmers work well if temperature is your concern. Crumpled newspaper in the box serves as cheap insulation.

If your moss is nice, I might be interested in buying some. Past shipments from online shops have been nothing but tiny shreds of moss and nearly impossible to anchor properly.

I got a really nice fist size chunk from Hara back in the summer. It survived almost two weeks in a ziplock bag as it bumbled its way around the mail system. I'm not sure how it would fare in cold, but mine arrived in perfect condition.

Is the idea of putting the java moss surrounded in wet paper towels...in zip lockbag...then surrounding them with newspaper and a heatpack in a relatively small box the idea for shipping this stuff in the winter?

Mr Burns...I'll take a picture of what I have right now :)

I asked a person on aquabid...and they said all they did was put paper towls wich were wet, in a zip-lock bag, and placed that in an envelope and shipped it! WOW I wish it was that easy for me haha...

Here are some pictures of what I have!!

Keep in mind im not going to sell ALL of it :p

Oh yeah all of this is from a snail free tank...

As far as how I found this...I got about 4 pounds of it from a teacher who didn't want it because it was a hitchhiker off of another plant. It looked exactly like java moss to me and I jumped for it because I had been after java moss for about...3 months are so before this. I looked at a lot of websites and it indeed is java moss.

Oh yes...incase any of you need a joke...about 3 months later that same teacher was fired for looking at smut at school! hahaha :)

D'oh...I forgot about wrapping it in wet newspaper before putting it in the baggie. That's what I did for the plants I send madasafish and they got to him in good shape through the USPS (Cincinnati to NYC.)

Mr Burns, did you ship them in the winterish time?

I'm really thinking about selling some of this...just depends. Do you think it looks good?

It grows like crazy...any bad parts of it I cut out...I have only ever had one small clump that turned kind of bad...Probally from getting no light at all because it was surrounded by a very very think part of it. There is no brown at all within it.

Back
Top Bottom