Java moss and the cold

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KyloRen

Aquarium Advice Activist
I ordered some Java moss online and even though on the package it says "Live plant handle with care" they thought it would be fine to leave it outside in the cold. It's 23 degrees outside and my java moss is a bit hard is it okay to just throw it in the tank or should I let it thaw a bit.

I would allow it to warm up slowly to room temp first. Then add it to the tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Alright is it normal for java moss to smell a bit like seaweed? Or is that a sign of death

Alright is it normal for java moss to smell a bit like seaweed? Or is that a sign of death

Not sure. Never really smelled it.
Don't be surprised if the moss fades or turns brown in a few days. It will bounce back; just be patient.
A few months back I killed a bunch of moss while doing some massive water changes in a moss filled tank (no fish) with untreated and inappropriate temp water. It took a while but it grew back.

Not sure. Never really smelled it.
Don't be surprised if the moss fades or turns brown in a few days. It will bounce back; just be patient.
A few months back I killed a bunch of moss while doing some massive water changes in a moss filled tank (no fish) with untreated and inappropriate temp water. It took a while but it grew back.

Awesome, thanks! Oh should I tie it to something? Can I just let it float? Also is xmass moss the same thing?

It will probably die back quite a bit but as said above, but it will bounce back. I left some in a bucket by my glass porch door once not realizing how cold it got right by those old doors. It looked pretty terrible and most of it died back, but when I moved it to a tank and gave it some light it came back eventually.

Awesome, thanks! Oh should I tie it to something? Can I just let it float? Also is xmass moss the same thing?

You can let it float. But it may end up where you don't want it. Tying it to driftwood is quite popular (using very lightweight fishing line or black cotton thread)
There are dozens of types of mosses. Java moss grows rather erratically while xmas moss sends out stems/fronds that look like miniature Christmas trees.

Back
Top Bottom