Java moss care?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ch-b

Aquarium Advice Activist
Does it need any special lighting or anything my aquarium is 100 cm length 70 cm height and 44 cm width and my light are t8 came with the hood of the tank they are 50 watt only 25 wat per bulb 1 red 1 white can i grow some java moss or anubias? i know it's a tall tank for such 50 watt light but i can grow anything that's my tank. i don't want a heavy planted tank just a couple maybe 2 1 anubias and 1 java moss

img_2943835_0_06f783461ccd3d94311edbcf333a5796.jpg

You can grow both of those with your current setup , no problem! You can add some flourish comprehensive and API leaf zone to give your plants a little boost, make sure you don't bury the rhizome of your anubias.

Hello there,first thanks for replying :) my aquarium as u can see is high and some people are telling me that i cannot have any kind of plant because of the height and because my lights are only 50 wat 25 wat per bulb like i said and they are only 2 bulbs so i don't know if i can have some 1 or 2 plant :(

but the rule is 1.5 wat per gallon for a low light tank..so i have 50 wat over tall 80 gallon.. so i should have at least 80 watt or i am wrong?

and i got a java moss right now in my tank my tank still new fishless cycling slow cycle and my java moss looks like that i got it like that from the store from 1 week brown stuff in it and they are still :l should i be worried ?
img_2943850_0_474d1482812044a26df012d6b239d377.jpg

img_2943850_1_008d9205141e0028b9bca556d7828cba.jpg

That rule is dated, it's about par value or light penetration.. If you're concerned about it you can tie the moss and anubias off to driftwood higher up in the tank to ensure it gets better light.. Make sure your light tubes are daylight full spectrum and 5000-10000k

What about the brown stuff should i worry about it?

What about the brown stuff should i worry about it?
not sure I follow? Algae? Diatoms? Edit- didn't see the pics, I'd just trim it off, could've dead from where it was placed in the store???

Last edited:
will java moss grow with a blacklight in the aquarium i have the light on about 4-5 hours a day i also get a little light from the window put not direct sunlight to the tank most of the day but the java moss is in front of a coral so it dont see the light from the window

The brown is due to acclimation. Those leaves will either acclimate or decay. If they decay, they'll become "mushy" and easily separate from their base. If they've decayed, remove them manually. "Worry" isn't the right word. Prune the dead parts to save the live parts.

Sent from my SM-T310 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom