JBJ Pico Journal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
As I noted in another thread, my R. wallichii is now starting to look really nice... great red color in the new growth. I up-rooted and thinned them out, and now they are stating to smile at me. (I'm sure that is not just my imagination.)

Stem plants like R. wallichii can be beautiful, and they certainly transport a lot of "stuff" out of the water column, but they are a bit of a PITA to maintain. My ferns and Anubias, on the other hand, just keep looking pretty day after day and ask for little in return.

Its really a great measurement plant. For a long while Travis called it the hardest plant, which I think is a bit of a over statement (I think its P. stellatus "narrow-leaf", easily), but agree its top 5 hardest I've tried long term. I'm surprised when people mark it as moderately easy, though am more impressed when its grown nice. I think if you can grow R. wallichii nice you can probably grow anything. :)

Very Beautiful tank, love it. I could never do nanos. I would look at Joys tanks and get inspired, tried a couple and failed miserably. Had a couple of nice ten gallons but that's as small as I had successes with, as far as growth anyway. Nice tank, it ain't as easy as you guys make it look:)

Well thank you Glenc! The secret to doing nanos is... ummm... errrr... well, to tell the truth, maybe I got lucky. I'm really not sure what I'm doing and have no real clue about the limits of nanos. Perhaps that's what makes it work :)

I'm becoming more convinced the secret is totally bourbon or beer...

I may have missed it, but where id you find that oc of wood ?? that is a nice addition !! I would love to have a pc like that ! I would put weeping moss on it to make my tree.

I may have missed it, but where id you find that oc of wood ?? that is a nice addition !! I would love to have a pc like that !

I've never been impressed with the selection of expensive and often "typical" driftwood offerings found at local pet shops and in online stores, so I went to a local garden center because I knew they sold driftwood for plant arrangements.

The piece of DW you see here

19555-albums299-picture1856.jpg

measures only 7.5 inches high. At its base, including the "roots," it measures only 10" across. (There are also "roots" in the back that you can't see in the picture, and the curved piece in the back-left section of the tank came from an entirely different piece of DW.) However, I cut it out of a rather gangly and unsightly piece of DW that measured about 2 feet high, 4 feet wide, and 2 feet in depth. So what you are actually looking at is a small portion that I cut from the piece of DW that I bought. If I did not have a mental picture of what I wanted, I never would have purchased the piece of DW from which that nice section was derived. As I mentioned, taken as a whole, it was a rather unsightly - and even ugly - piece of DW.

I would put weeping moss on it to make my tree.

Nice idea. If I get the time, I'll take a picture of the "tree" as it looks today to show you how I am intentionally growing algae on the "tree" to simulate super-fine moss. It's really starting to look great.

I've had a break through!
I finally understand all the hub bub about a planted tank.

Yours is so beautiful.

Thanks for posting.

Dave

Wow...incredible. I have a JBJ pico reef tank that I'm building. I think I may buy another one and do a planted. My wife's always wanted one. I may have the bug.......

Thanks guys... you're very kind. That makes up for all the hairs I pulled out of my head fighting my infestation of Cladophora algae. :)

Back
Top Bottom