Jeff's PTC Journal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Crepe

Aquarium Advice Addict
I got a request to transcribe my thread on TPT onto here so I'll also be continuing my little exploration into PTC (plant tissue culture) on here. Hopefully I'll be able to share my experiences with you guys.

A few words of wisdom. PTC is NOT as complicated as my articles/sources make it seem. Once you get the basics down it's just measuring out powder and making sure you have good technique. My goal is to make these insane articles actually understandable to the common person. Hopefully we can turn PTC into something that anyone can do. Although I do agree the beginning is daunting. PTC however is not a particularly difficult task, it's done in orchid communities all the time in the kitchens of dedicated hobbyists. It's also not expensive. The chemicals I've detailed can be had for 35 dollars shipped to your door....It's probably enough to initiate hundreds of cultures as well. And each culture providing several hundred plants means LOTS of plants...10L of medium at 50ml per culture = lots of plants.

Just about to trade some plants for some downoi and various anubias so I can get this project underway. I still have to save up for the necessary chemicals though but I'm just going to put this thread here since I'll also be using this as an emersed set up journal too (need a place to hold my plants and all)...

So on the way is:
Various anubias
Downoi

On shopping list is:
Murashige and Skoog w/ gamborg vitamins
NAPHTHALENEACETIC ACID, POTASSIUM SALT, K-NAA
6-BENZYLAMINOPURINE (BA)

Sources:
1. http://namcub.accela-labs.com/pdf/Co...%20culture.pdf
2. http://www-pub.iaea.org/mtcd/publica...e_1384_web.pdf
3.CP Tissue Culture in the Kitchen
4. http://www.oup.com/uk/orc/bin/9780199282616/ch02.pdf
5. http://journal.ui.ac.id/upload/artik...Zulkarnain.PDF (references a member of the pogostemon genus)
Plants have been ordered!
6. http://www.phytotechlab.com/pdf/SIVBMay2004.pdf (one of the most important sources....Talks about antimicrobials)

Some good sources added!

Non numbered sources:

Rapid in vitro multiplication of the aquatic angiosperm, Anubias barteri var. undulata
Li-Chun Huang, Yung-Hui Chang and Yu-Li Chang

Institute of Botany, Academia Sinica, Nankang, Taipei, Taiwan

Accepted 24 June 1993. ; Available online 25 June 2003.

Abstract
A protocol was established for rapid in vitro miltiplicatin of Anubias barteri Engler var. undulata. By employing very small tips of actively growing lateral shoots as explants, aseptic cultures were produced without nutrient medium addenda of antibiotics of fungicides. Quiescent buds produced only infected cultures. Cultures were initiated and rapid shoot multiplication was attained in a medium containing Murashige and Skoog salts, 3% sucrose, 0.8% Sigma Type A agar and in mg 1−1: 10 thiamine HCl, 10 pyridoxine HCl, 5 nicotinic acid, 2 glycine, 100 i-inositol, 0.3 BA (N6-benzyladenine), 0.01 thiadiazuron and 0.1 NAA (1-naphthaleneacetic acid). Shoots were rooted in small clusters, in a second medium lacking cytokinins. The rooted shoots were readily established as aquarium or greenhouse plants. Based on a steady rate of five-fold proliferation of shoots per month, attained after 7 months following explanting, the projected annual yield of clonal plants by this method is 106 plants per explant. As is commonly observed among many amphibious species, terrestrially and aquatically grown Anubias plants from tissue culture displayed land and submerged forms of foliar morphology.

Aquatic Botany
Volume 47, Issue 1 , January 1994, Pages 77-83
Michael E Kane Corresponding Author Contact Information, Greg L Davis2, Dennis B McConnell, Jennifer A Gargiulo
Purchase
Environmental Horticulture Department, P.O. Box 110670, University of Florida, Gainesville, FL 32611-0670, USA

Received 5 October 1998; Accepted 14 January 1999. Available online 24 March 1999.
Abstract

Procedures for in vitro establishment, axillary shoot proliferation and plantlet acclimatization of the aquatic plant, Cryptocoryne wendtii De Wit. were determined. Surface-sterilized rhizome shoot tips were established on a basal medium (BM) consisting of Murashige–Skoog mineral salts, 0.56 mM myo-inositol, 1.2 μM thiamine–HCL and 87.6 mM sucrose supplemented with 2.2 μM N6-benzyladenine (BA) and 0.57 μM indole-3-acetic acid (IAA) and solidified with 0.8% TC agar. Effects of basal medium supplementation with factorial combinations of BA (0–25 μM) and IAA (0–10 μM) on axillary shoot proliferation from single-node explants were determined after 28 days. Maximum axillary shoot proliferation (sevenfold increase) occurred on medium supplemented with 20 μM BA alone. Excellent microcutting rooting (100%) was achieved by direct sticking microcuttings in Metro Mix 500 soilless planting medium. Greenhouse acclimatization of rooted microcuttings was 100%. High-quality salable plants were produced within eight weeks post-transplant.

Keywords: Araceae; Aquarium plants; Growth regulators; Micropropagation; Plant tissue culture; Shoot culture

Pretty good...

Last edited:
Yay! I'll have my plants in by tomorrow (hopefully). I'll update with some pics then. I also got my clean box built.

Well I haven't been updating this lol.

I've gotten my practice plants in. I've also gotten all my chemicals. Gosh I love new toys.

I thought I had posted regarding my interest in this project. Needless to say, I'm interested in seeing the results of this. It sounded interesting in chat (what little I saw of it), so lots of pictures and data will be awesome.

Following. I'm always excited to see these kinds of projects in the aquarium world. With all the psuedo science being regurgitated, proper science is an an even greater boon to the hobby.

I'll definitely have tons of pics for everyone tomorrow. I'm making the media then. So far the plan of action is:

1. Make 10-20 samples of media
2. Wait a week or two to make sure my technique is good enough for keeping media sterile
3. Do some tests on S. 'porto velho' emersed and submersed and see the differences between the ease of sterilization on the two types of tissue. Do a few tests using purple bamboo which grows very quickly so it will give me good results quickly on whether my media is well made.

Currently the gelling mix I'm using is:

1g TC grade agar to 1L of water and 50-60g corn starch.
Spin it in a 900watt microwave for 5 minutes at 50% power and then let cool.

Back
Top Bottom