Jell-O CO2 Method

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It all seems reasonable. Though to me it seems like a bit of extra work. It seems the jello lasts a while, but you have to keep changing the water/yeast in the top.

The more I read on yeast/fermentation, I am convinced the key to good yeast mixture is lots of water. The water keeps the alcohol from building up too fast. So the yeast can consume the available food.

I was watching the AGA 2004 convention DvD the other day. There was a nice focus group on doing DIY CO2. The presenter very scientifically explained that yeast was like an animal from the nutritional standpoint. This means it needs carbohydrates and proteins to grow and be healthy. They went on to recomend using protein drink and molasses in your DIY mix. This is how I have made my DIY mixes, with much success. My profile has the recipe that I used. ;-)

Interesting well documented article, I'm wondering if adding a bit of baking soda to the jello (you can use gelatin, but jello is probably cheaper) would help with having to replenish the yeast mix.. it would release at the same rate, the jello just slows it to a more consistant flow, a regular setup will range from 60BPS or more and drop to 15 within 1 week or less. you get the same amount of Co2, just a longer duration.

Great, now I have to go buy a bubble counter ;)

I think the jello recipe makes great sense, from a stabilizing standpoint. The yeast can only get to so much food at once, so lasts longer and stays steadier.

Why not drop the amount of jello down to say 75% to leave more room for water? seems like that would help with the alcohol problem. Plus you'd get to eat some jello. :-D

- Chris

So would having less jello and more water I guess it could be okay.Maybe adding more sugar to the gelatin mix will help more bubbles produced at a steady rate.

Ok... I made the jello, activated the yeast (warm water+sugar+stirring) then combined the two, about 20 hours ago. No bubbles. What'd I screw up?

I wonder if there is enough exposed sugar to get the yeast really going. Maybe mixing in a little sugar with the water on top could jump start it. Or maybe your mix just needs a little more time to break down some jello.

Ah shoot. I know what it is.

This is my first time trying to generate CO2. There's almost no water in there.I bet I didn't add enough water. Stupid!

IF I add more water now, do you think it will work? should I add more yeast and more water?

I'm guessing you are about 1/3 full of jello? You should probably fill it up to about the 3/4 mark with water. I bet it will still work, and I doubt you need more yeast if you already added 1/4 tsp.

This kinda reminds me of those Jell-o shooters we had at this Christmas party last December which had vodka in them, or so they said. Now this kinda makes me wonder if that was vodka in them. lol

Back
Top Bottom