Joey's Rimless 17 Gallon High Tech Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jkeating8

Aquarium Advice Addict
Soo...A little story. I had a 2.5 gallon betta tank for about a year, and I always wanted a much larger tank, but my parents would never let me. This past December, while at petco, my dad decided we should get a larger tank, and we did. We got a 5.5 Gallon that is my current tank. Shortly after, I began reading into planted tanks, and I was taken back by the beauty and elegance of high tech planted tanks. I followed Bill's 12L build, and Brian's GLA build, and figured I would take the leap into high tech planted tanks. I read, and read, and read. I am completely obsessed. LOL. It was not a quick endeavor because I'm 15 and scrounging for money is not the easiest. About 2 months ago, I suffered my 4th concussion in 8 months. My neurologist completely banished me from playing football, pole vault, and baseball for at least a year. My obsession intensified, and my dad realized that this is one of the only things I can really do now. 3 weeks ago we began planning a new tank. I want a mini dutch. It will be at least 3 weeks till I get the tank. (Various reasons- Vacation, AFA doesn't have them in stock yet). My current tank will go to my younger brother, who wants a nano reef. (Another endeavor im taking on) Sorry for the long post.

Specs-
ADA 60-P
Filter- Eheim 2213 or 2215 (Not sure yet)
Light- Aquatic Life 2 bulb T5HO w/ Giesemann Bulbs
Co2- Pressurized
Substrate- Floramax
Modified EI Dosing

Fauna: (tentative) (Suggestions)
GBR or Neos. Not sure yet.
5 CPDS
5 Rummys

Flora: (Tentative) (Suggestions Welcome)
Blyxa Japonica
AR Mini
HC
Pogostemon Helferi
Alternanthera Reineckii
Bacopa Caroliana
Dwarf Pennywart
Rotala Magenta
Ludwigia inclinata Panatal
Rotala Wallichi
Nesea Golden
Rotala Bangladesh
Ludwigia sp. tornado

Current tank and "evolution"- crappy iPad pics :/ lol also, I picked up a wall cabinet that I will finish and put a granite counter top on for the stand. Perfect dimensions for the 60-P

Attachments

• image-3422941106.jpg
    image-3422941106.jpg
    169.8 KB · Views: 434
  • image-3090465097.jpg
    image-3090465097.jpg
    147.9 KB · Views: 442
  • image-3367488849.jpg
    image-3367488849.jpg
    141.8 KB · Views: 400
Following! Thanks for the heads up! BTW, based on the shopping list of equipment, flora, and fauna, i can tell all that obsessive reading has paid off.. You got yourself a nice plan!

I'm here!!! :D thanks for the shout out buddy! Looking forward to this thing taking shape! You've definitely done your research! I'm glad you've found something so fulfilling to keep you busy while you take a break from sports! Awesome story brother, your addiction to aquaria is already set in stone! ;) haha

Definitely following!

Your plan looks pretty great! I do have one concern though, centered around the CPDs. As beautiful as they are, they are very shy. I worry that they may not get much food with Rummys in there as even in my 29g, my Apistos have to come to the surface and fight the Rummys for food. I would suggest perhaps getting rid of the Rummys for more CPDS, or replacing the CPDs with a less shy small species like an Ember Tetra or a Rasbora in the Boraras family like Boraras Bridgittae. But, again, that's based on my experience with CPDs.

Haha welcome bill! Btw, the HC is finally really took off about 2 weeks ago and is going crazy. Haha. My girlfriend thinks I'm nuts.

Adam- I was worried about that too. That's for the feedback.I guess I'll choose when the time comes. I love CPDs so much because they resemble my real favorite fish. The brook trout! This is from a native stream in PA.

Attachments

• image-4187496063.jpg
    image-4187496063.jpg
    120.1 KB · Views: 362
Haha welcome bill! Btw, the HC is finally really took off about 2 weeks ago and is going crazy. Haha. My girlfriend thinks I'm nuts.

Adam- I was worried about that too. That's for the feedback.I guess I'll choose when the time comes. I love CPDs so much because they resemble my real favorite fish. The brook trout! This is from a native stream in PA.

Yeah, I've always had an affinity for CPDs too. They just do better in a shaded, dedicated tank for them :(

I love CPDS. Awesome! Thanks for following man! Just ordered my Lilly pipes! I'm super excited. I also had to order a new glass diffuser because my brother broke mine this morning :/ ugh. Haha. I'll post pics when they arrive.

I might upgrade to a 5lb co2 tank as well. My paintball tank lasts about 6 weeks on my 5 gallon, but I run 5 bps due to off gassing. I'm not sure it's worth it.

I think having the largest co2 cylinder you can that would fit in the space available and not look too unsightly would be best. But wow... you really have to run 5bps in a 5g? I'm getting like 2 to 3 months out of my paintball with 2 bps using the solenoid/timer. I have two 20oz paintball tanks dedicated to each paintball system I have. So it reduces the amount of trips I have to make to get refills.

Yeah, I'm gonna see how long I can get out of one on my new tank, but if it lasts less than a month I'll probable get a 5lb. The off gassing with this filter is nuts.

Yeah probably too much surface agitation with a HOB. Both tanks that are currently using paintball co2 (6g and 26g) both have a canister. My drop checkers are always a nice lime green when the lights come one with no more than 2 to 3 bps.

Yeah, just waiting till I can order my canister. I ordered some lily pipe knock offs that were actually said to be of good quality, so well see how they look.

I'm an avid fly fisherman and there are so many little streams jam packed with beautiful brook trout here in PA

Back
Top Bottom