Journal: 273L Europe-Wave-100 - update - 1.5 years

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zezmo

Aquarium Advice Addict
This is a log of my new 72 Gallon Aquarium.

It has been a little over a year since I first decided to put some plants into my 55 gallon tank.
Here is the oldest shot of my 55 that I have, about a month after planting.
http://webpages.charter.net/zezmo/55_front_4-25-05.JPG
Here is the last shot I took of it a couple months before I set this new one up.
http://webpages.charter.net/zezmo/Tank12-27-05-1.jpg
I sure learned a whole lot running that tank, but now for my Sophomore year of doing planted tanks I wanted something more interesting than the standard old hard to aquascape 55 gallon show tank. About the time I took that second picture I saw a Tank at King Aquarium that really captured my imagination. I pretty much decided I had to have that tank, and began to save up for it. I bought the tank around the beginning of April, and set it up a week later.

Specs:
It is from Eheim (MP) and is called the "Europe Wave-100". It is a 273 liter tank measuring 120 x 40/48.8 x 50 cm. The front glass is "S" shaped, and what really caught my eye was the unique stand.

Lights: 1x Current USA Satellite Dual, and 1 1x Current USA Satellite Single. This is 6x 65watt Compact Fluorescent lighting. 4x are 8800k bulbs, and 2x are 10000k and 6500k dual bulbs. 5.4wpg. They also have a total of 4x "white" moonlights above the tank, and 4x Blue moonlight below the tank.
The tank came with 2x T8 39watt bulbs that fit in the hood. I am not using this.

Filters: 2x Fluval 304. This is not giving me quite the circulation I want. I was going to use a power head of two. Instead, I have decided to add a 3rd filter. This third filter will set up so as to promote the circular current flow that I am trying for.

Substrate: 5x 9liter ADA Aquasoil "Amazonia"

UV: 13 watt Coral "twist" type

Heater: 300 watt Hydor in-line

Co2: 5lb tank with ADA Glass Diffuser

Ferts/Water: Weekly - 50% water change (approx 35 gallons), 25gal RO/DI and the rest is Tap water that is ran through a micron filter and a Carbon Block filter, no additive (i.e. no Amquel etc).
Ferts are 2.5 tsp KNO3, 2.5 tsp 10% diluted Na2HPO4 (Fleet Enema), 2 tsp K2SO4, 1 tsp Seachem Equilibrium, 9 tsp Flourish, 1/4 tsp Iron Cheleat 10%, and 3 tsp Flourish trace. I also add 1oz of Flourish Excel on any day that hair algae shows its head (once every few weeks or so).
These are put into 2x 500ml bottles (the rest is RO/DI water). One for macros and one for micros. I pour a little into the tank from the micro bottle each morning, and a little from the macro bottle each evening.

Here is a series I took When I first got the tank home.
Wave100-Tank-empty-noframe.JPG

Wave100-parts.JPG

Thick glass stiffeners. Every aspect is very well built. Beveled edges on glass, thick smooth silicone (black), well fitted and build pieces.
Wave100-Stiffener.JPG

The hood had a small manufacturing defect. Pretty minor, but I am sure that Eheim being a German company is ISO9001 certified, and would appreciate the customer feedback. I have yet to actually send them an e-mail over this though.
Wave100-Defect.JPG

Here is the cabinet; the tank and cabinet only come as a set because of the shape.
Wave100-Cabinet_Empty.JPG

Wave100-Cabinet_Empty-top.JPG

Wave100-Foampad.JPG

See the space under the tank; it looks like the tank is floating in person.
Wave100-Front-Empty.JPG

First time water was in it, leak checking.
72-leak-check.JPG

I decided to try some Aquasoil. Two reasons, first everyone here who uses it seems to have good results. More importantly, it is less likely to scratch the glass than gravel or some other substrates.
72-aqua-soil.JPG

The left side has a terrace formed by two pieces of Driftwood. Both sold as "African Root (Bog) Wood". The one with the Anubias has that plant grown all through it.
Hardscape-1.JPG

72-hardscape-above.JPG

Here is is right before adding water and everything else.
72-ready-for-water.JPG

This was a fast track setup, the Filters, about 40 gallons of water, the mulm, and the plants driftwood and fish were all transferred to the tank as it was set up. There was no "cycle" and the only casualty was my single sword Guppy. He had shown himself to be sensitive in the past, and I really should have dripped him into the new tank. Everyone else was immediately happy in their new home.
Right after set up:
72-just-set-up.JPG

Week one:
72-front-1week.JPG

Week two:
72-front-2week.JPG

Week four:
72-week-4.JPG

This is just a bunch of shot that I have taken over the last few weeks since I set the tank up.. I hope you enjoy them ;-)
Lots of foreground plants:
foregroundplants-1.JPG

Ranalisma rostrata
Ranalisma_rostrata.JPG

2 species of Eriocaulon: In front E. sp. type 3, and in back E. setaceum. they look similar, type 3 has longer needles (leaves)
72-eriocaulons.JPG

Some ferns pearling
72-pearlingferns.JPG

The left side, some nice plants here. I really like the Pelia (Thank you Naomi). The viney stuff is Hygrophila sp. "foreground". Or at least that’s what Roland at Greenchapter called it. There are a couple stems near teh center, they grow very slow, and have small round red leaves. Similar in look to a baby's tears. Does anyone know what plant that is?
72-farleft.JPG

Right side from below. The Echinodorus "Indian Summer" was putting up leaves with very long stems (as seen in this shot on the surface). I pinched off every one that hit the surface, and now it is producing shorter leaves. I have kept at least 4 species of sword "right sized" by consistently trimming any leaves that were too big. like a lily, this will keep the plant manageable. That, and never make a sword compete for light, that makes them produce taller leaves.
72-right-below.JPG

Ludwigia sp. from Guinea
72-Ludwigia-guinea.JPG

Center mound
72-center-mound.JPG

72-center-mound-2.JPG

same feature 2 weeks earlier
72-centermound-week2.JPG

My koi Angel, Sunny. This Gold one (probably male) and the striped one mated last week. The eggs were laid on the E. "Indian Summer" leaf. Eggs hatched, but babies became snax.. Maybe next time.
72-left-Sunny.JPG

A shot from the right side of the tank. See the fun house mirror effect of the Angel on the curved glass.
72-right-end.JPG

Man I have a lot of fish.... there are 37 in this picture. I will give you a hint, one is a Banjo cat half buried in the soil (coughwhereswaldocough)
72-lot-o-fish.JPG

Here are 4 shots of the E. parvaflorus "Tropica". I like the last one where Mr Oto is lazing on a plantlet.
E_Parva_Tropica-1.JPG

E_Parva_Tropica-2.JPG

E_Parva_Tropica-3.JPG

E_Parva_Tropica-4.JPG

I still have a few projects before the hardware side is fully set up. Things like better routing of the filter lines. Also, I am considering some changes to my CO2. My real goal is to have the tank peak around August so that I can do some nice pictures for this years AGA contest. I figure with the AGA convention in town this year there is no better time than now to enter my first aquascaping contest.

Wow Zezmo that tank is amazing. I love the aquascaping and the fish, everything about it is awsome. I think someone finally pulled me off the fence between salt and fresh. That tank too reminds me a lot of the 95 wave from all glass. The sales guy at my pet store tried selling me one but the stand was no where as cool as that one you got. In your pics does that stand have blue accent lights on it, or it that something else. That is so crazy looking. Oh, and dont you have problems with the angels and the neon or cardinal tetras. I always herd those were colorful snacks for angels and decided against it on my fish stocking plans, but yours obviously look like there doing great together. I cant get over that tank. That is nice!

Good form Zezmo. That stand is really neat looking. I also love the Dwarf Gourami and Angel combination(I have that myself in my 29). Keep up the excellent work and thanks for taking the time to share those amazing pictures!

Very very nice tank, fish and plants. You have inspired me to hit BA today and get my tank looking good again, not happy with it at the moment.

Great tank and equally great pics Zez...........A++ very impresive.

I'm really likin that Eriocaulon setaceum you've got........where did ya get it and can you give me any tips on growing it.
I'm definately gettin some!

Super-Attractive, and amazing.... I'm deeply impressed thus far!

What made you go with a wave front tank, out of curiosity?
Haven't really seen many of them, so i'm not really sure how I feel about them

OceanMaiden said:
Im absolutely loving your tank. The fish look like they are enjoying every square inch of it!! Question though, How does one gravel vac with all those plants??? 8O Id love to plant my tank up like that.

You don't really gravel vac. You can clean up any visible crud in the open areas if they become an eyesore, but you don't vac up the poo. It's food for the plants. :)

Wow...You are all so very kind. Thank you very much :)

In your pics does that stand have blue accent lights on it, or it that something else. That is so crazy looking. Oh, and dont you have problems with the angels and the neon or cardinal tetras.

I mounted 4 blue LED moon lights under the tank on the stand. The moonlights in the tank are the ones on my light fixtures, which are white. My camera is not good enough to take a night shot. It does look pretty cool though. Start with small Angels, and big Teras and you won't usually have any problems. The Angels look very natural to me with teh teras zooming all around. I have Neons, Bloodfins, and Rummynose tetras in there.

I also love the Dwarf Gourami and Angel combination

I was worried at first there might be some aggression, but all is good. The Dwarf Gourami's (2 males) I raised from an egg. They are teh results of my DG breeding efforts of last year. The finnage and coloration on them is much bolder than what I normally see in any LFS.

I'm really likin that Eriocaulon setaceum you've got........where did ya get it and can you give me any tips on growing it.

I got this stuff from two places. The E seaceum is from the Aqua Forest store in San Francisco. http://www.e-aquaria.com/aquaforest.html
The E. Type 3, is from Greenchapter http://www.greenchapter.com/eshop.php?cat=1
The SFBAAPS (http://www.sfbaaps.com/) did a group buy to import a lot of less common plants. We were very happy with the service and quality from these guys.
As for growing, they like soft water 1-2 dKh, and a ton of light and zero shade tolerant. CO2, lots of ferts etc. I have these growing in two tanks now. It is amzing how fast they can turn south on you, and it is very hard to get them to snap back. Oh and most importanly, no fish that want to eat thier delicate leaves.

What made you go with a wave front tank, out of curiosity?
Haven't really seen many of them,
that is exactly why I bought it. When I saw this tank, I was really blown away by how differant it looked. Then, a week or two later I was at a different store and saw the AGA 90g wave. Another guy was looking at it and commented "that isn't something you will see in everyone livingroom". Well that tipped the scales for me. The AGA tank is nice too, but I think maybe too deep for a planted. And it is very tall with the stand too. I don't want to have to clean my tank on a ladder. The Eheim in the end, was only $200 more than the AGA tank. The original asking price was $1399. I ended up paying $1100 out the door for everything. I like doing business with people who are willing to bargain a bit. The AGA wave was $900 at Petco near my house.

Question though, How does one gravel vac with all those plants???

Lonewolf had it right. I don't gravel vac. My gravel vac was long since converted to a CO2 reactor, and now even that is retired. I generally use super long tweezers to pick out any unsightly bits. The rest, well my Shrimp, Malaysian trumpet Snails, Cory's, Loaches, and Banjo cat all do thier part to keep the bottom healthy.

Again thanks for the feedback. All that great encouragement really motivates me to want to try even harder to dial this tank in. I am trying to tank picture after each weekly cleaning and will keep it updated.

Thanks Cz ;-)

Here is a shot I took while sitting at my computer. Staring at my tank sure is a lot better that staring at some blue line when things are downloading. ;-)

myview-1.JPG

Back
Top Bottom