Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Planted Tanks
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-14-2019, 08:53 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Journey to lush plants in a low tech tank!

Hello! Thank you for viewing this, I will be using this thread for weekly updates about my 2 planted tanks that are currently struggling with algae minor algae problems. The first is my 10 gallon and second is an 8.8 gallon cube. I am dosing weekly with ThriveC and dosing the 10 gallon with some Flourish Excel as well. (No excel for the cube as it is heavily planted with anacharis). The filter in the 8.8 gallon is a Fluval 5-15 that I might change to an Aquaclear 10 or 20 because it seems to have lackluster flow and cleaning potential and will update if need be(leaning towards yes) if anyone has any other questions just ask! Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0309.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	255.3 KB
ID:	312658Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0311.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	195.0 KB
ID:	312659

Old 04-15-2019, 12:14 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Hello Shiina...

You're not giving yourself the best chances for success by selecting such small tanks. The water chemistry won't be steady enough for plants or fish. Because there's not enough water to resist changes in the chemistry. The nitrogen levels from the commercial fertilizers will change the water chemistry and this will allow algae to thrive in such an environment. You'll need to change most of the water every few days to create a livable place for fish or plants. When it comes to tank keeping, the larger the tank the better the chances for success.

B

Old 04-15-2019, 01:42 PM   #3
ZxC
Aquarium Advice Addict

Those are great tanks for plants!

10 gallon or less is easy to maintain, cheap to fertilize / light, and simple to make changes!

Don't let the smaller water volume scare you, small tanks can be very nice:

10 gallon:

5.5 gallon:

If it were easy we wouldn't be here
ZxC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 02:29 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZxC View Post
Those are great tanks for plants!

10 gallon or less is easy to maintain, cheap to fertilize / light, and simple to make changes!

Don't let the smaller water volume scare you, small tanks can be very nice:

10 gallon:

5.5 gallon:

Ahhh thank you Zxc!!! I have already gotten rid of my algae problem in the 10 in less than a week and I decided to rescape the 8.8 a little bit LOL! Fiddling around with a few things but so far so good! Iím looking forward to uploading more pictures on Sunday!! Also your tanks are absolutely BEAUTIFUL!!
Old Yesterday, 02:41 PM   #5
ZxC
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiina107 View Post
Ahhh thank you Zxc!!! I have already gotten rid of my algae problem in the 10 in less than a week and I decided to rescape the 8.8 a little bit LOL! Fiddling around with a few things but so far so good! Iím looking forward to uploading more pictures on Sunday!! Also your tanks are absolutely BEAUTIFUL!!
Looking forward to seeing your progress!

If it were easy we wouldn't be here
ZxC is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
low tech, plant, plants, tan, tank

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com