Jungle ina 10 Gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

agrasyuk

Aquarium Advice Freak
it is 17 days since my main tank is running. i think i got little bit carried away buying plants from forum members here (can't post good feedback in feedback forum yet, srry), so i grabbed a 10 Gallon on 1 for 1 sale in local big box pet store. instead planting immediately in main tank i thought it will be not to bad of an idea to "stage" the plants in this small thingie.
oh my, i love this! amazon sword forest (and the other stuff, you surely know the names better then me )!

QQ: i used water from main aquarium, old 5-15 topfin filter that i had lying around running ordinary mechanical+carbon cartridges. no heater in this tank, no fish and no bio filter. substrate is balck "sand". ambiant temp in house is ~65-70F. light is a usual CCFL bulb from a desk lamp that i plan to run for 8 hours a day or so. i assume the plants should survive this ordeal for couple ofdays at the least . your thoughts? should i add a tetra or two to make "nitrogen for the plants?

Attachments

• DSC_1843.jpg
    DSC_1843.jpg
    164.7 KB · Views: 94
  • DSC_1844.jpg
    DSC_1844.jpg
    214.3 KB · Views: 101
Your plants should do fine in that tank, if you have ferts I would use them instead of using fish though. I use a ten gallon that isn't heated or filtered to get my clippings to root before using them in the main tank or selling them. What made you not want to put them in your main tank?

That's a lot of swords :blink:

If there's nothing but plants in the tank it would be just fine to add some pure ammonia to it. Plants have an easier time consuming ammonia than nitrate anyways.

Thanks guys!

The reason they staged aside is that I want to get everything in first. Perhaps I got carried away with buying plants, but in a 55gal it will be not as crowded. I want to remove that cheesy Petco structure out and boil me some driftwood. Once thats in place I will get to planting)
In meanwhile I will add couple of tabs for the swords in the 10 gal.

One Amazon Sword that grows to full size will actually take up a 1/4 to a 1/3 of a 55g tank. I had 2 in my 220g tank and actually took them out as they took up too much room. When I removed them when they were around a year old they were almost 30" tall and had a 20" or more spread. That many swords will actually crowd one another out. Also remember Swords are heavy root feeders and need to have root tabs used by them.

One Amazon Sword that grows to full size will actually take up a 1/4 to a 1/3 of a 55g tank. I had 2 in my 220g tank and actually took them out as they took up too much room. When I removed them when they were around a year old they were almost 30" tall and had a 20" or more spread. That many swords will actually crowd one another out. Also remember Swords are heavy root feeders and need to have root tabs used by them.

thank you for the input. yes, perhaps i did go a bit overboard :). but in my tank i will have just a basic lighting and aside of first root tab i do not plan on heavy fertilizer schedule so the growth will be probably slower. and then there probably will be another tank where these will get planted in due time.

Back
Top Bottom