Jungle Val Help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DirtyTankMan

Aquarium Advice Regular
All of my plants are thriving in my tank except my jungle Val. It is not growing and as far as I can tell it is slowly dying. Any advice as to why and how I can revive it?

I have a dirted 45g tank with medium lighting and a DIY co2 system currently.

Yep, Excel and Jungle Val don't mix. It will melt it. When I first set up my dirted tankI put Corkscrew val in. It didn't do much of anything and went through a "blah" phase that I wondered if it was going to melt or what. I don't remember how long but suddenly I noticed new little plants starting at the base of the unhealthy looking ones. Slowly things started to change and now it's growing just fine. I have to wonder if this is just what Val's in general do when they are acclimating.

Just flourish, not excel.

Any approximations on how long that took for you Rivercats? My dwarf sag is far beyond dwarf and is showing up my jungle Val :D

My 220g is dirted too and everything took off except the corkscrew val. I bet is was at least 5 weeks before it did anything except sit there looking like it was trying to decide to grow or melt.

I had problems keeping them too. I always wanted a tank full of them but just couldn't. I've read that they actually like dirtier water than we think or provide; I don't know tho. I'm hoping someone can give a clue how to keep them thriving.

Just wait them out. Now I have a really nice stand and still getting taller. Have to also watch about keeping runners cut and pulled because after it decided to grow it's sole purpose is to take over more territory.

Back
Top Bottom