Jungle Val in 10g

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bigfish93

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey everyone, I am looking to start a small 10g aquarium for my night stand. I plan to put a school of tetras and some snails in it. I was doing some research and it says that tetras like planted tanks. I was wondering if it is ok to put a few Jungle Val in a 10 gallon tank. I know that they get long, but I figured if I trim them more often I could make it work. If you don't believe this would work could you recomend some other easy to care for background plants. I have low light so I am keeping that in mind. One more question, do I need a CO2 injector for this?

nah. i prob wouldnt suggest co2 for you. if you up your lighting or get more serious into plants, then maybe.

jungle vals will get way to big for your tank. i wouldnt do it personally.
some good low light plants would be anacharis, java fern, anubias, crypts, hornwort. take a look at the low light (most medium low will work too)plants at this site. PlantGeek.net - Plant Guide

how about sags. they look like vals just wont get as tall. i have had vals over 4 feet long.

There are smaller vals like cockscrew that is only 16" or so. <Mine are only 12" or so max>. Might be worth a try.

However, hornwort is real easy & you can trim to fit the tank size. You can also try other easy stem plants like Hygrophilia as well.

I have some jungle and coRkscrew (don't know what kind of plant you're talking about jsoong, LOL) vals in my 10g that are doing great with a 6700k 15w light with root tabs in playsand. I do have to trim them quite often as they tend to coil up at the water surface if I let them get too long. I've had some grow well over a foot and a half and were even too big to put in my 30g long.

Back
Top Bottom