Just Another Pressurized CO2 Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Sorry for the late response. I'm using the black CO2 tubing from aquatek. Since I ran out, I decided to use some other black airline tubing instead of opaque tubing. My ordered stuff should be here tomorrow so hopefully it will make a difference. I may need to put some teflon tape on the one side to ensure a tight seal.
As for drop checkers, I'm just using the plastic red sea version. I make my own 4dKH water to use in it and use the solution that comes with it. You might be able to order it inexpensive from amazon or something; Drs Foster Smith too should have it. Let me know the progress of your setup too.

Thanks for the info. Much appreciated. Hope you get your issue with the tubing worked out. The opaque silicone tubing is working out for me so far, so I think I'll stick with that. What is the formula for making your own 4dkh solution? Gotta be cheaper than buying it. I will definitely keep you informed on the progress of the tank. It looks like doo-doo right now:oops: CO2, and the upgrade lights should help.

For the solution its 1.2 grams of baking soda per 1 litre of distilled water. It doesn't take much baking soda. I made less using approx the size of "O" on your keyboard with approx 4-6 oz of water. If you have a scale its easier. Keep testing as you go along and hopefully you'll get it. It's not hard, just takes some time with all the testing.

Thank you for the info. I will have to make some up once my drop checer arrives.

So according to Aquatek, their regulators are not to be modified due to possible leakage and the 2-way splitter can not be used in conjunction with brass bubble counter as it would be horizontal :(.
So my options are to (#1) make 2 bubble counters using small water bottles and use 2 cheap check valves so they can easily be replaced once broke down. Another option (#2) is to purchase 2 of these (or something similiar)

View attachment 150778

so it comes with integrated check valves too. It can be installed inline and I would place them after the splitter. The second option is what I'm leaning toward.

No word from Aquacave; but I doubt its going to make a difference due to the sheer construction of Aquateks regulators.

Thoughts?
I believe I have the same bubble counters as you show in this pic. They are suppose to have integrated check valves. If they do they don't work. This morning when the co2 kicked on the bubble counters were empty. All the water had run back into the tubing below the counter. I am so glad I left a drip loop in the tubing, otherwise I would have had a regulator full of water. Guess thats what I get for trying to get by cheap. You would think I would know better by now:oops: Do yours work as they should?

That sucks!! So far mine seem to be ok. Like you, I have mine below regulator level so if it does happen, it shouldn't get to the regulator. It's tough looking for inline bubble counters too. You going to return it? Look for something different; or at least different company?

Yes I am going to return them I think. For the time being I just put cheap WalMart checks in the line towards the regulator. I shut the CO2 down for about an hour, and the cheap checks held everything in place:rolleyes: Go figure, a $2 check from WallyWorld works better than something designed for a specific use. LOL Maybe i'll just use pop bottles, at least they work.(y) Glad your not having any issues with your equipment. This is how things normally go for me:lol:

I thought about adding a simple check valve like you did inbetween regulator and bubble counters. Just a thought, double check the bottom of the broken bubble counter. There is a spring in there; maybe it wasn't sitting right causing it to leak.

A double check can't hurt. I have the counters straight up, and zip tied to the back brace of my stand. I might have just got defective counters. Some of the overseas stuff isn't that great.

This splitter is definitely helping as my co2 actually turns on/off frequently. I haven't refilled bubble counters in 3-4 weeks now, which is a big change from before. I made sure everything was tight during installation.

ForumRunner_20130321_202619.jpg

Back
Top Bottom