just bought a pc fixture..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dertyharry420

Aquarium Advice Regular
this is what i got

20" 1x28W Coralife Aqualight hood w/ 50/50 -Square Pin

Accessories: Coralife Aqualight Mounting Legs #62-53099 (+$6.95)

Extra_Bulb1: HelloLights 28W 6,700K -Square Pin #31-20001 (+$14)

Moonlight: 3/4 Watt Blue-Moon-Glow LED light -Coralife #97-53400 (+$15)

this is for my 10 gallon planted tank...and i ordered a all-glass versa hood the glass ones ...and i also got kent FW and kent pro plant with kent black water expert...i want to know if this was a good decision and also what type of plants give a nice good grass look ..? and where could i purchase them via paypal...

i just received the same fixture but i opted for the 10000k bulb, hope its not over kill for the plants i got. i tried posting some pics under my gallery tonight but it said the images are pending. maybe pop over and check out my newly planted tank

Well you've effectively doubled your lighting, so you should see more intese plant growth in a week or so. Some plants take a little while to adjust to new lighting.

You're gonna do DIY CO2 right? You'll need it with that lighting on that size tank.

For plants, try aquabid.com - kind of an eBay for plant people...more likely to be able to use PayPal there than at places like aquariumplants.com (one of my favorite plant sites)

right on thanks im buying the hagen co2 kit and then as soon as i run out of the packets im just gonna do a diy yeast/sugar mixture into the canister then right...? and also i just bought 2 plants off ebay ...and i was wondering how i should plant them also...i got dwarf hairgrass ( Eleocharis acicularis ) and Micro Sword ...i wanted to make like a grass like carpet to put in front of my cave and around the front and middle of the aquarium...i have 1 green hedge and 3 green cambombas behind the cave and i have 1 apontogon seeds you can get at walmart in the front corner by the cave and 2 large bulb seeds i got from walmart also which are red something i forgot what theyre callled

red tiger lotus? those things will get big enuf to fill the whole 10 gallons :)

The hagen kit is just a glorified DIY setup with a pretty decent, but simple, diffuser. The packets are just yeast, and baking soda with a little yeast nutrient in it (really not necessary). When you get it, you could just use a different canister than the grey one that comes with it.

Planting hairgrass...you want to separate out the individual plants, and plant them, probably using tweezers. Micro sword is similar, plant each plant separately, in a checkerboard fashion. It'll fill in the gaps as it grows.

it's a bit small. might work on a 10 gallon, but anything bigger and you'd wanna use a gallon sized juice bottle. otherwise you have lower CO2 levels, and every 10 days you have to make a new sugar/yeast mixture.

mixture is always based off the size of the CO2 reaction chamber (where the water, yeast and sugar goes).
Yeast + sugar = alcohol
too much alcohol = dead yeast

In other words, you hit a point where adding more sugar stops increasing the duration of CO2 output.

There's probably two dozen recipes on this site you can search on. For me, I use a 1 gallon jug, with 1.5cups of white table sugar, fill with 85degree tap water, and then shake it up for a minute. If the temp is solid and not above 90 degrees, add 1/4 teaspoon bakers yeast. That's it. Tends to last 4 weeks.

Back
Top Bottom