Just got a co2 setup now what...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ryan87500

Aquarium Advice Freak
So after debating getting a system for awhile one popped up in my area on Craigslist. It is a Milwaukee regulator with a 5lb tank. I heard that I need to be a little worried about end of tank dump but I think I can monitor the pressure to help with that.

Anyway I don't have a diffuser and using a HOB filter so can't do an inline. For the time being can I just run the pipe to my hob in tank like a diy setup? In the long run what is the best way to diffuse?

I have a 36 gallon tank and running 4 18 watt cfl bulbs 6500k.

I was going to start the co2 an hour before lights and end an hour after. And was planning to run lights for 6-7 hours.

What should my target bpm? The other thing I got in the setup is a cal Aqua labs checker.

Right now I have some algae problems so hoping this helps.

Sorry for the long message.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

A diffuser is the cheapest way to go. But inline gets the co2 more diffused into the water. Do the opposite of what you suggested to run the co2. Run it when the lights come on but stop it an hour before the lights go out so that the plants will take in the co2 and you won't gas your fish overnight. You will still need a drop checker, bubble counter, and a check valve.

For now start at 2 bps to be safe, get yourself a drop checker (color changing reference solution) ad to minitor the amount of co2 being diffused into.your water. A ceramic diffuser would be best but into your hob will work, may lose a bit though.. mine comes on 1 hr and 15 min prior to lights on and shuts off an hour before dark..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Sorry mis typed. I meant turn on before lights start and turn off an hour before lights end.

There is a bubble counter built into the reactor and it looks like it came if the nano cal Aqua co2 checker with solution.

For the diffuser what kind of ceramic diffuser is that different then just the little air stone?

What should my operating psi be I have seen many different answers. Or does psi even matter and I should just focus on bps?

I keep my working pressure around 7.. I'd have to double check if that doesn't translate to your rig..you should.def focus in bps, that is the amount of gas being piped into your tank. Trick is give the plants as much as possible with out killing the fish.. very fine line of you want max efficiency

Thanks. Is the only ceramic diffuser the one from fluval? How does that differ from just the blue airstones?

Thanks. Is the only ceramic diffuser the one from fluval? How does that differ from just the blue airstones?

There are a few our there.. fluval work fine. I have a couple. Wouldn't use airstones, you want microbubbles for co2

Great just ordered the fluval from Amazon. While I wait might just put in my hob filter.

I got the fluval ceramic disc. I find that I need about 20 psi before I get any bubbles. If the psi is lower the tubes fill up then I get no movement in my bubble counter.

What size tank and lighting? Dosing ferts?

I have a 36 gallon bow front. I converted the standard might hood to 4 - 18w cfl bulbs.

I have root tabs that I use and started dosing with seachem flourish.

I did get a bunch of powders fertilizers with my co2 tank purchase. Haven't used any yet. Was trying to find cheap dosing bottles but wasn't even sure how to test what to dose.

My algae continues to be a problem for me.

That's plenty of light. . What type bulbs? 5000-7000K??

6500k bulbs.

Here is the dry fertilizer I own but haven't touched.

These are all from aquarium fertilizer.

Plantex csm + b
Monopotassium phosphate
Potassium nitrate
Potassium sulfate
Iron chelate

Back
Top Bottom