Just got dry ferts for the first time. HELP...please :)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishman888888

Aquarium Advice Freak
Picked up 1 pound of the following:

KH2PO4
K2SO4
KNO3
CSM+B

I have 0 dosing instructions, to go with 0 experience

Things i know:
Dose the macro and micro on diff days
...that is all LOL

And. Nitrate and potassium get consumed the quickest normally

Questions:
Do you measure by teaspoon or weight.... got a digital scale already from back in the day ;)
Lol

My 75 gal is lightly planted

My 125... maybe 50+ plants

Recommendations for dosing?

Thanks again, in advance

...P.S. ....... going to PFS my 125 on monday, i love the look soo much :D

You need 3 dosing bottles i use 1000ml from greenleafaquariums ill post a chart of how much to mix in each bottle.

Sent from my HTCEVODesign4G using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I started using PPS pro 3 weeks ago on my 125g heavy planted community. It works great.
I used 2 bottles instead of 3. Trace elements in 1 and the other chems mixed in the other. The bottles mentioned by MMantelli are great. They are self dosing calibrated bottles that you can pre measure and just pour into the tank.

Here is the link to use the calculator.

https://sites.google.com/site/aquaticplantfertilizer/home/pps-pro

hope this helps...

I use 3 bottles since the fish/substrate provides a decent amount of nitrate (dose it separately if at all). I use a teaspoon, gram scale, and use those little plastic condiment cups found in fast food places (for ketchup, etc). I use a small plastic funnel for pouring the dry ferts and DI water into the bottles. A small amount of Excel or Glutaraldehyde in each bottle will prevent mold growth. Mix and let it sit over night. I always give the bottles a shake prior to dosing. I use a plastic pipette for each bottle. I think you can find these at a local pharmacy. The ones I use are graduated a 0.5mL with a 3 mL capacity. 1 mL per 10 gallons daily. I add the macros on one side of the tank and the micros on the other side. This is to prevent the iron from precipitating. I squirt the solutions into the output of the HOB filters to ensure good distribution. I believe it is recommended to dose 1 hour prior to lights on but IMO as long as you are consistent with it (the time of the day) then it will be fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Those are your mixtures make sure you use distilled water ONLY. The measurments for the ferts are done in weight. So for day one is the day after your pwc test your water and wright it down this is your baseline. Your goal is to have 15-20ppm nitrate and 3 ppm phosphates now depending on the Type of plants those numbers will change thats what my nursury tank is at. For more red and trolls color plants you will want lower nitrates 10 ppm and higher phosphates 5+ ppm. Now dose 1ml/10g of each bottle at least an hour before the lights come on also dose your glut at this time. Do this for a week on your pwc day test again and Wright it down this will tell you how much your plants did or didnt use. Then do your 50% water change and do it all over again its going to take 3-4 weeks to get everything consistant but once you have your levels where you want them and a set amount to dose each day its a lot easier than it sounds. Any questions feel free to ask ill answer the best I can.

Attachments

• 1411309809222.jpg
    1411309809222.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 79
  • 1411309848320.jpg
    1411309848320.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 72
  • 1411309882165.jpg
    1411309882165.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 79
Green Leaf Aquariums website has dosage instructions.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

You dont need the msgo4 unless your waters dkh is lower than 4.

Sweet. Thanks

You say to dose daily?

Gla says 3-4 times/week...

Just wondering if everyone else doses daily as well

If your dosing PPS-Pro you dose daily. On WC day you can skip ferts, which is what I did or be sure to dose them after your WC is done so you don't waste the ferts.

I also use 3 dosing bottles as my tanks tend to run at 10-15ppm of nitrates I rarely ever dose nitrates. If you mix your nitrates/potassium/phosphates all together then it's impossible to target a specific level.

If your dosing PPS-Pro you dose daily. On WC day you can skip ferts, which is what I did or be sure to dose them after your WC is done so you don't waste the ferts.

I also use 3 dosing bottles as my tanks tend to run at 10-15ppm of nitrates I rarely ever dose nitrates. If you mix your nitrates/potassium/phosphates all together then it's impossible to target a specific level.

What she said LoL :)

Im going to a medical supply store after work today

Im looking for metricide 14?

Whats the exact name?

Glutaramaldehyde?

Lol wondering what to ask them for

...also ,when i get it.
Im just going to reuse my old 500ml excel bottle

Dosing for solution bottle?
Daily dosing?

You want Metricide 14 Day Solution or you can get Metricide 28 Day Solution if they don't have the other. Both have almost the same percentage of glut in them.

Back
Top Bottom