Just got my new lights.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rlavassor86

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Well finally got the lights I need to convert to planted. Coralife t5 ho lunar 4 bulb 48" fixture. I know it's more intended for reef aquariums but I got a smokin deal on it so I couldn't pass it up. Anyways, it currently has 2 10,000k and 2 actinic bulbs in it and I'm wondering what bulbs I should use for my 72 gal. I'll be converting to planted this week. Do I use all 4 6500k or do I use a mix of bulbs?

Attachments

• image-3237785439.jpg
    image-3237785439.jpg
    122.4 KB · Views: 65
  • image-916998405.jpg
    image-916998405.jpg
    132.6 KB · Views: 80
  • image-4140312641.jpg
    image-4140312641.jpg
    147.2 KB · Views: 60
  • image-1483461323.jpg
    image-1483461323.jpg
    119.4 KB · Views: 61
greetings.

any bulb above 10KK starts to emit light in the blue spectrum, which algae suposedly lives on. from what i've read, a mix of "mid-day" ~6-8KK and plant-specific bulbs of ~4-6KK are ideal in a 1:1 ratio mix.

Nice lighting and tank! You can either use all 6500K or if you like whiter light (less yellow/reds), you can mix by adding two 10,000K daylight bulbs.. This should give you a color temp close to 8,000K... Which is perfect IMO.

Check out my 12g nano cube in my signature.. I had 50/50 actinic bulbs in the hood i decided to run in FW planted.. I ended up with a crazy amount of algae. When i switched the bulbs, i have the mix 6500K and 10000K. Grows plants wonderfully... You're adding CO2 injection right?

the only reason to get 10KK bulbs is so you don't have to look at the red/purple coloration, the strong white light of a 10KK will make it unnoticeable. but they have less of the light spectrum that plants need compared to 4-8KK bulbs (not saying that they aren't useful)

Brian_Nano12g said:
Nice lighting and tank! You can either use all 6500K or if you like whiter light (less yellow/reds), you can mix by adding two 10,000K daylight bulbs.. This should give you a color temp close to 8,000K... Which is perfect IMO.

Check out my 12g nano cube in my signature.. I had 50/50 actinic bulbs in the hood i decided to run in FW planted.. I ended up with a crazy amount of algae. When i switched the bulbs, i have the mix 6500K and 10000K. Grows plants wonderfully... You're adding CO2 injection right?

Yea I'm adding a DIY co2 injection and a DIY reactor just need to buy the pump for it. I definitely like the look of mixed bulbs better.

DIY CO2 would be insufficient for tanks larger than 20 gallons. I would suggest getting a pressurized system.. Perhaps a 5lbs or 10lbs cylinder to last a while between refills. Aquatek makes some pretty good regulators for the price.

i run 2X2L diy co2 on my heavy planted 55g and i manage to reach and stay in the green-zone on my dropchecker. you can simply up the amount of yeast/sugar mix but ofcourse that increases the time you have to spend on maintaining the system. however, there's no reason you can't do it. there's also the possibility of increasing the amount of yeast to up output, but that means the mix depletes faster.

Last edited:
After doing both I've come to the conclusion that pressurized is worlds better. My issue with DIY was a fluctuation in output as temperature changes throughout the day. Diy is great if you can't throw down for pressurized, but if you can then by all means do so.

jetajockey said:
After doing both I've come to the conclusion that pressurized is worlds better. My issue with DIY was a fluctuation in output as temperature changes throughout the day. Diy is great if you can't throw down for pressurized, but if you can then by all means do so.

I plan to in the future but for now until my wife decides she's ready to find a job I can't really afford the 200 or so dollars to get a pressurized system.

Well if money is tight, there's not much you can do... I can certainly feel your pain. I'm on a budget too being that I'm a full-time student. But if you find the extra cash, you can get a nice quality pressurized system up for about $170 (shipped). That includes regulator, solenoid valve, bubble counter, check valve, tubing, diffuser, drop checker, 4 dkH reference solution, and 5 lbs co2 cylinder.

For the meantime, I would suggest going with nereksnad's suggestion then. DIY co2 is better than no co2, especially with that lighting! Perhaps, supplementing your DIY system with dosing Excel will do the trick.

I've been hearing about the use of glutaraldehyde as a more economical way of dosing Excel. You should contact Rivercats here on AA on that one.. Rivercats has a pretty nice looking LARGE planted tank without injecting co2.

Check out this thread... http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f24/switch-from-co2-to-excel-232048.html

I do plan to upgrade as soon as I can though so I can keep the system on a timer with my lights

if you are concerned with co2 levels in the tank at night time, you could get the solenoid valve now and use it the diy co2 setup - making the valve turn on to release the co2 into the air during night. as depicted in this very rushly made draft.

33369-albums10657-picture45556.jpg

Last edited:
Wow... never heard about using a solenoid valve on DIY. I just let my DIY co2 run 24/7. It's on my 12g and I haven't had any issues.

the level of co2 needed to maintain a constant level of co2 during daytime - for example 20mg/l, would be stacking up for maybe 10 hours at night and could reach a unintended level of co2, so i disconnect a hose at night. i looked into a solenoid valve but that's very pricy here - 120$ for the valve alone.

but if you don't aim to keep a constant level of co2(by having a high production only during daytime), and instead run co2 all day (by having a lower production all day) then there souldn't be any problems. it would be more natural too, a buildup of co2 at night means higher levels of co2 for the plants at morning and midday, and a low level of co2 at the evening, and the co2 level builds back up over night. the same way it is in nature.

Back
Top Bottom