Just imstalled co2 system! Need help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
No way! You're making your own filling station? That's some serious commitment. Hats off to you. lol

It's fine to use your light timer to pull double duty for your co2. I ran my tank like that for about 5 years. It's just one of those little tweaks people sometimes do later on in their tanks development. It isn't important to do it that way unless you're actively fighting certain types of algae, usually BBA.

I was renting the large tank from a welding company that closed down and never gave me notice, and no way to get it back to them....seems sketchy but it's just a blessing I guess :p it cost $20 to fill the filling station tank and $15 to fill my 5 pound, no brainer for me:)

I have one more question! I don't currently have a check valve, what do I do when the timer turns it off for the night? It doesn't seem to siphon water when it's off but I'm concerned! A check valve is next on my list btw! I heard some sole pods have them built in but I'm 90% sure mine doesn't, should I have it running at an extremely low bubble rate during the night?

Without a check valve it may be good to have it on at night. You can use an air stone at night to gas off the excess co2 that the plants won't be using. You may want to check and see if your bubble counter doesn't have a built in check valve. Many do.

Another easy solution would be to raise your co2 cylinder above the tank. It won't back syphon against gravity. That'll work very well until you get in that check valve. :)

As long as the tank is above the diffuser itself itd be alright right? My tank is tall so it would be easier to be higher than the diffuser!

You'd probably be Ok, but getting the regulator portion above top tank rim would be a little more secure. If you have like $3, you could get a cheap airline tubing check valve and use it for the time being. Those you can get at any chain store too.

I got a cheap plastic one! And just ran it on extremely low pressure last night to keep water out!

I saw coralline's recommendation, good. Once all these kinks are workd out, your gonna love your system!

Mohican is right on about the height. It'll need to be above the water level to work. It's the water pressure that pushes the water down the line to create back syphon. Water flows down so it'll need to be above it. I should replace my steel check valve also. It's from 2007. >_<'

I 2nd Coralline's suggestion about getting 4 dKH solution. It will give you more accurate results then your tank water. You can get a 4oz bottle on ebay for about 6-7 bucks.

You can also make your own 4dKH solution using distilled water and baking soda. It's so easy.

I took about 6oz (+/-) of distilled water and place in cup. I then took a pinch of baking soda, about the amount that would fit in letter "O" on keyboard. Doesn't take much. Stir and test. You may have to add more water or baking soda to get right results. Once you get the color to change in 4 drops, your good. There is an exact formula but it really makes a lot.

I took about 6oz (+/-) of distilled water and place in cup. I then took a pinch of baking soda, about the amount that would fit in letter "O" on keyboard. Doesn't take much. Stir and test. You may have to add more water or baking soda to get right results. Once you get the color to change in 4 drops, your good. There is an exact formula but it really makes a lot.

So you want it to work out to 4KH when tested, correct??

Yes. I have the red sea drop checker so I add the solution that came with to my own 4dKH water.

Back
Top Bottom